How can I get my 3 1/2 month old to enjoy tummy time. She hates it and right now all she can do is kick her feet and push up on her chest and elbows.

Graciesmommy10

Asked by Graciesmommy10 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't. Limit her time to her threshold. That might be only thirty seconds. Once she gets older and strongr or can roll she'll like it more.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• dangle a toy above her. sing to her. get on your tummy so she sees you.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Don't do it if she doesn't like it. I never put my kids on their tummies. They all developed fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• there's nothing you can do really if she hates it.

my oldest and youngest HATED it - so I didn't do it.

middle dd slept on her tummy so loved it.

I agree with mompam....why force it if its making you miserable andmaking baby miserable?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My dd hated tummy time - but she did okay when we proper her on her her tummy on the boppy. Then she could see a little more and it wasn't such a stress on her arms. It allowed her to work on her neck muscles and be off her head for a while so it worked! Just make sure to stay close because you wouldn't want them sleeping like that or anything once they're tired of holding thier head up!
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I'd still do it for limited amounts of time. She's working those muscles as she pushes her chest and elbows up. At that age the babies that actually do enjoy it are rare, but it gets better.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Put her on your tummy so she can still see you. She is probably looking for you anyways so if she can see you then that might help. My son liked it a lot.

boysmomma2

Answer by boysmomma2 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2010