Should i be concerned my almost 4 yeard old DD's hair does not grow?

Her hair has grown since she's been born but around 2 years old- 2 1/2. her hair quit growing. then continued to grow a bit more. Even if i cut it at home or took her to a salon it only grows very slow. At 2 1/2 my oldest daughter had long hair. By 3 very long long hair and now shes 5 her hair is long to her waist. While my 3 1/2 year old daughters hair barely touches her shoulders. Could there be a deficiency in vitamins? She turns 4 this may on the 25th. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have the same thing. We thought something was wrong ang brought her to see a specialist. Nothing wrong. Just told that everyones hair grows differnetly. Some grow fast and some slow and everyone had in there gentic code to where there hair will stop growing and some are not long. So she could have in her gentic code that will not get any longer then her shoulders and there is nothing we can do.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• There could be a difference in their hair because of vitamins, but I think it's more likely that different people just have different hair types and some grows slower than others.
    Anonymous

• my middle dd's hair doesn't grow either (her sisters hair grows so much faster)

she hasn't had a cut in a year. nothing we've done has helped.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I didn't grow hair very fast as a child either and now my middle daughter doesn't grow hair fast even though both her sisters hair grows very fast. I think it is just how they are made. If it makes you feel better my hair started growing like crazy when I was about 5 and I have never had an issue since, I also have very thick but very fine hair. I've heard that the finer the hair the slower it grows. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Patience is all we can ask for, trust me my almost 4 year old wishes her hair was longer but we make do with what she has. Good luck and don't worry I'm sure it will pick up one day!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 12:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• how fast your hair grows is an indication of how fast your cells regenerate. i would have my child to the doctor for that in a second. dont brush it off, saying it will grow someday. that is an indication of a cellular problem (not cellular like phone. like human cells)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I have a friend and her DD's hair never grew, she looked like a boy for the longest time and then finally it grew like crazy! I'm sure it will happen.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Are you caucasian or non-caucasian? I ask because my kids are mixed, and when their hair has been stubborn, at bed time, I rub this Supergro grease onto their scalp. It makes a difference.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 12:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• OP here. sorry it took me long to answer. I am Latina. My dads mexican and my mom is from south america, argentina but we have italian as well. my husband is almost caucasian. My oldest daughter has light brown straight hair and kinda thick. My youngest has very very very thin brown hair. She is also 3 1/2 years old but looks 2 and has been looking 2 for ever. no back packs fit her so i had to buy her this pottery barn backpack for preschoolers. she wears a size 24 months to 2t and nothing beyond that because shes very short for a normal 3 1/2 year old.
    Anonymous