If you have a healthy pregnancy and an etopic pregnancy at the same time, do they have to kill both babies?

TotallyWarped

Asked by TotallyWarped at 12:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• This is called a heterotopic pregnancy and it's more likely to happen if you've had fertility treatments, such as in-vitro fertilization. It is very very rare.. Pregnant women need surgery all the time so I am sure they can remove the ectopic while not harming the "healthy".

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I dont know..hmmm...never thought of it...I would think not though since the 2 babies wouldnt be connected in any manner.
    Anonymous

• Is that even possible?
    Anonymous

• if you ovulate twice but only one fertilzed egg comes down into the uterus than yes, its possible.
    TotallyWarped

Answer by TotallyWarped at 12:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Anon 12:16, it could be possible if 2 eggs are released.

I think they could remove the ectopic one and leave the other, but I'm sure the anethesia the woman would be under would be at least a litle dangerous for the normal pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• What I say is they can try to save the one and get the etopic pregnancy. But it without risks.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think they can take out the ectopic. Anesthesia isn't all that dangerous for the baby. I had my appendix out while pregnant. Not fun, but ti happens.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I can't c how this is possible when every natural conception starts off with one egg. Twins and multiples form after the egg has taken its permanent position. Doesn't sound right.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• youngfirsttimer... no it doesn't sound right but that does not mean it is not true. Google heterotopic pregnancy it will tell you how it happens along with the definition.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• youngfirsttimer . . . um, no. Only identical multiples start with one egg. Fraternal - which are the most common - come from more than one egg.
    Anonymous