Why does he bang nis head on stuff?

My 14 month old bands his head on the floor, windows, ar whatever. Is he just trying to get attention? Or what may be the reason for this?

Amberoz

Asked by Amberoz at 12:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son did that at this age out of frustration when he didn't get his way, or if he was mad and sometimes to hear the sound it makes.. I paid no attention to it and it lasted only a month.. now he's 2 and just does the dramatic falling to the floor as if the worlds coming to an end..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I thought it was a power trip. Little attention whore!! LOL
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Normal kids in happy homes don't do things to get attention. If you think this is the reason then it is an indication that there are things that are going wrong. Is the child being punished - spanked, things taken away, yelled at, time outs, ect. Is the child being told no and stop. These word should be saved for emergencies. Do the parent or care givers not have effective parenting skills.

Punishment is not effective and doesn't teach good behavior. It can lead to abnormal behavior like head banging.

Toddlers can be frustrated if they can't talk or sign and can't communicate. Do the people that are around your child understand him and respond to him quickly or is he ignored or told to wait. Is the home little person friendly. Does he get exercise.

It can be a sign of autism or other developmental problems if no other reason can be found. There are soft helmets that can protect toddlers heads.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No and stop is said in the home I know I need a more effective approach. He is not ignored and get plenty of excersise. Can you give tips on discipline?? I re-direct contstantly, but the word "no" comes before explaining the reason not to do things.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My son did it at 2 and grew out of it. He wasn't ignored he is in a loving home it was just something that he did. Eventually it stopped when he was about to turn 3 and he hasn't done it since then. It was just a 2 year old phase I guess.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 1:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• yeah he is frustrated. I'm guessing he does this after being told no.. if so, he's doing this so you'll forget he said no and pay attention to the new behavior. When my son does this I tell him, "Careful or you'll hurt yourself." and ignore the behavior until it stops. On the rare case he DOES hurt himself, pick him up, soothe him, and once he's calmed down explain why he got hurt.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Be careful listening to advice of Gaiil... you'll see her responses on here quite a bit and they are ridiculous...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Well, my son started this at about 13 months old. He would start crying when he would get frustrated with himself, not when he was told "no". He would try to walk and say his legs hurt, and then get really upset and hit his head on the floor and cry. It was unbearable. We made SEVERAL trips back and forth to specialist in Chicago and they found a small mass near his hip and pelvis bone. But, it took 3 years for someone to tell me about Asperger's Syndrome. I guess with Autism, some kids feel "out of place in their own skin". When I read that I held my face in my hands and cried. That is EXACTLY how my son acted for the first 4 years of his life. He is now on a 3-step plan from the Health Food Store and it's made a world of difference. So, I guess it would depend on the why he was doing this....is he mad at you, or is he honestly just frustrated with little things?
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 10:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2010