Anyone have a high-needs baby?

My 14 month old is so clingy. I will admit I spoil his with love and attention, and stay at home with him. I lack in discipline skills, but am working on it. The problem....he clings to my when people are around (acting shy) He will cry profusly if I leave him with anyone except gramdma. Even if Dad is around, he ignores dad & is aunry toward me. How can I get him to open up to other people than me? Note: I get him out of the house 3-5 times a week to socialize.

Amberoz

Asked by Amberoz at 12:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like you have a normal baby, that you have bonded well with.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Thank you! Now I need to extend him structure....
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• He's just going through a phase.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• my son was the same way, with the exception I work outside the home so he went to grandmas and now part time daycare at a center. He was sooo high needs.. and still is, just less at 28 months... He has never been one to sit and entertain himself, or play with toys.. he still tells me to sit by him when he's playing.. or takes me by the hand when going in to other rooms.. I will tell you, I barely let my sons' dad BE a dad.. if he cried.. I run to him, if dad trys, he still clings over to me.. that's MY bad.. I need to let my husband take on more of a role for THEM to bond and show Max that he needs to be able to let daddy help too ... I totally am attached to my son.. like I don't even want to run errands without him.. I am not saying this is YOUR problem but I have a hard time letting any one else "care" for my angel.. oh he was also high maintenance in the area of that he cried ALL the time... the first 6 months was due to
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• colic, then afterwards he still cried literally most of the time he was up.. he had constipation issues, dairy / food allergies ( which I didn't know about til he was 12 months old ) he had major outburts in the AM and after the nap - the the point where it would sometimes take 2-3 hours for him to stop whining and crying... still have no idea why or what.. I have always been stricter in the discipline area, never ALWAYS held him, tried walking away talking to him to lessen the clinging, getting him engaged in something.. its gotten SOOO much easier since he's been 2 but I DO have a high maintanence child!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My first was VERY stranger shy when he was younger. I took it as a blessing. I figured it was much better to have one that only wanted people he knew well than to have one that would be happy with anybody and everybody. He was fine as he got older and is a very independant well rounded kid.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 2:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010