• In the Spotlight:

Does pregnancy really happen after?

6 to 7 years after you have had your tubes tied? I have heard of this happen to people but what to know how true it is? Thank you..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is possible, and depending on whether your tubes were cauterized or if they were clamped off, it could happen.
    Anonymous

• my step mom had her tubes tied about 17 or 16 years ago and she suposably has been pregnant 7 times since she has been with my real dad (16 years now I think) and she says they ended in misscarriages I don't know if that is true or not, but that is what she says
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• There is a failure rate associated with any kind of tubal ligation. And yes it can happen years after the surgery took place. It is less than 1% failure rate so it is unlikely but always possible unless the ovaries or uterus have been removed.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The failure rate is about 0.1%. That would mean 1 pregnancy in 1000 women per year? Vasectomies are about the same.

That sounds like a lot of pregnancies to me. I have a disease that occurs in 1 in 50,000 people.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My aunt had her done rite after her 4th kid 2 yrs later she ended up pregnant with her 5th kid and that one is know 19 yrs old about to have a baby of her own it may not have been 6 or 7 yrs.
    Anonymous

• Its possible. It may not happen but theres definitely that possiblity as long as the equipment is there.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 6:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010