How much did the government take from you this year in taxes?

It is nice that you are happy getting something back, but do you know how much the government took from you?

They took over $40k from us. We are use to paying more at the end of the year. But this year we are getting under $4,500 and it is all going into paying bills.

The higher we pay in taxes the less we spend. Just a thought.

gammie

Asked by gammie at 12:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I never get anything back...retired, no dependents, have to pay quarterly estimated taxes on my income every year. It is always the same every year. I guess since I had taxes withheld while I worked for so many years and I am getting Social security and Medicare, I am grateful. I just hope they don't run out of Social Security money since I paid into it for so many years. I started working in 1960. Think about THAT! LOL.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• we made 44k and are getting back $10277 they say Im not sure though

Anonymous

• We paid in 39k in taxes off our income to federal, state and other taxes taken out of our checks. My husband has a spread sheet he inputs all the sales tax and other taxes we paid in over the year and that was another 10k. So nearly 50k and we get 50 bucks back. Yet we are heartless and don't do enough.lol
    Anonymous

• The government took a whopping $9.20 cents from us last year. Then again, my husband was deployed most of 2009 so that probably explains it.
    Anonymous

• Around $20.,0000 we get about $8000 back.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 5:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The amount above is what they took. We make around $50,000 a year.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 5:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Nothing. I am just waiting to see how much more I am going to have to pay in. The idiots here in Oregon passed 2 new retroactive tax measures yesterday. One of them is a surtax!! Uughh. Idiots, most of those evil people that make more than $250,000 a year are Mom and Pops that end up taking home about $50,000. But, let's add an extra tax for them to pay on the WHOLE $250,000.

I know of 3 businesses here in town that will be closing within a month because of this. That will add another 30-35 people to the unemployment line.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• OOPS! Not nothing! I was thinking the question was how much did you get back! Sorry! I am not sure how much they are taking. I know it will be more than $50,000 though.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• For those who think taxes are bad NOW, just wait until the Bush tax cuts expire January 1, 2011--which Obama will ALLOW to expire.

"Obama also said, in a June 2007 Democratic debate at Washington, D.C.’s Howard University, that repealing the Bush tax cuts would help pay for universal health care and other social programs he envisioned. The Bush tax cuts -- people didn't need them, and they weren't even asking for them, and that's why they need to be less, so that we can pay for universal health care and other initiatives."

"their expiration would amount to an across-the-board tax increase for Americans who pay income taxes,"

unless Congressional Democrats act to prevent it, every income tax bracket will rise, with the lowest tax bracket experiencing the largest increase – jumping from 10 percent to 15 percent of income.

Continued
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Those who pay no income tax at all will see a reduction in benefits provided by refundable tax credits, a form of social spending.

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=43924

(specific increases contained in link)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2010