Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please Help...Im in tears over this...

So I worked for 6 1/2 months in 2009. I get my W-2 and it says I made $2,766 which I calculated, and that is correct. fedral tax withheld is $.62...can someone PLEASE explain this to me? I have called my companies tax office, but could not for the life of me get a good explanation from them, nor could I clearly understand them because they all spoke poor english of course. Does anyone know why this happened? Does this mean that I will owe money?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (21)
  • Didn't you notice on your paychecks that they weren't taking anything out? I think you will definitely owe.

    Answer by mompam at 12:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • They'll factor in your SO's income if you file jointly

    Answer by TMJ121099 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • You might owe nothing.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • I am not married yet. We are just engaged. Can we still file together? Neither of us has enough money to owe to this stupid country...I am so upset. And I am pretty sure they WERE TAKING TAXES out of my paychecks...that is what has me seriously confused.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • that happened to my husband. luckily we still got back money but they only took out $32. needless to say he was a littel
    P!$$&D about it and when he called they didn't seem to want to talk to him. i feel your pain. there is a trubo tax calculator that we used to help us figure out if we would get anything back and it was right. its free. we just googled it or go to h&r block or something like that and see about a free consulation. they won't hold you to it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • try calling someone like H &R block or one of those other highly advertised tax preparation companies. Make sure that you file single and zero on your tax information with your employer. I am married and I still do that, that way they usually take more and I end up getting a return at the end of the year. I would talk to your manager and have them go up the chain to take care of it for you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • It depends on how many you were claiming and how they calculate taxes. I file as Head Of Household and they take only 8% taxes on me. It isn't much but it is more than that. If they miscalculated your with holdings you need to have them fix that ASAP. Ask for the HR department and ask for a copy or print out of some type explaining your with holdings. Ask for a signed copy of the W-4 you filled out so that you have one for your records.

    Answer by Memigen at 12:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • You'll probally owe, but you can set something up to make payments.Look @ it as a growing expeiriance so you don't make the same mistake next year.I'll tell you what You want to pay attention to everything you pay out as far as bills and receipts from shopping because people are and will screw others outta money in all sorts of ways best to be aware of everything on your bills/checks and reicpets, we work hard for our money, so take care of it!, Good Luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • If you are single you made so little money you won't have to pay taxes and may not have to file taxes. You may be able to get tax credits, free money from the government, like the child care tax credit. And you will get your $.62 back! Actually I don't know if they give less than a dollar back.

    It may not cause a problem if you are married. The deduction you get to take for you may equal or be more than what taxes would be on the amount you made added to what your husband makes.

    Don't worry. Things are not going to turn out bad.

    Answer by Gailll at 12:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • The personal exemption is $3,650 this year. And then the standard dedcution is $5,700 for single. As long as you can't be claimed as a depedant on someone elses taxes (your parents) if you make less than $9,350 you owe nothing. Of course if you are on here you probably have a kid and maybe a husband and you might even qualify for credits in excess of what you paid in. But they don't like to take your money only to return it to you later.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.