TB testing while pregnant...?

Working in healthcare, I am required to get a TB test on my birth month every year. Which is fine, but now that I am pregnant I dont want to have it done until after the baby is born. I know that people say its perfectly safe to have it done, but 20 years from now, I dont want there to be a study that states that TB testing causes this and that...What would you do?? No bashing no drama, just give me s straight yes or no and your reasoning. Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would rather be tested and find out I don't have anything to worry about or not.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• They've been doing TB testing for decades..I'd think if it were dangerous they would know by now.
    Anonymous

• I had a TB test done when I was preg. with my son. He's 20 now & nobody has yet to suffer from any ill effects from it.
    Anonymous

• The test is just to see if you've been exposed to it or not, it's not a vaccine against it. I would do it, instead of not knowing you had the exposure and therefore not being able to be treated.
    Anonymous

• I can't see that the TB test wouldf be harmful. We all have had the test done since I was having kids in the 1960's. I am sure if there was a risk,they would have found out many years ago.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I guess you guys are right in that sense..but I just had one done 3 months ago when I got hired at the hospital..and before whole working at other hospitals with a negative everytime..I dont see how anything would change in 3 months..I guess that is my concern..why do they need it soo soon again??Cant they just use the results from that one test for now?? I would think they can wait until after the baby??!!
    Anonymous

• I dont know how long it takes TB to incubate but what if you were exposed to it in those 3 mo. & did not know? If they could use the previous results I would think they would do that. I cant imagine they would want to go to an extra expense without a good reason. Maybe its a state law that they must do it for new hires?
    Anonymous

• To answer you second set of questions yes things can change in that short of time. With the new guidelines you have your initial test then you must have a second ppd(TB test)7 days to 6 months after the first but no more than 6 months after.. It is a new policy all accredited hospital must follow, I just don't remember who made it mandatory lol....
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• TB testing just goes under the skin and doesn't pose risk. Like others have said it has been done many years to many people all over the world and it would be known if it hurt mothers or babies.

The skin testing is better than the alternative of a chest X-ray.

If I wanted to keep my job I would just get the test. No doctor is going to give a note saying it shouldn't be done.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If I felt the same way that you did I would sit down with my boss and express my feelings. I'm sure you and your boss can work something out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2010