another spin off of How would you feel if your children changed religions christian moms what would you do if your kid(s) wanted to be wiccan or pagan?

first i just want to say that i'm only asking this question because i'm curious and i hope i dont get bashed for asking this.

i found two posts asking moms how they would feel if their child wanted to change religions. i am a wiccan and the posts made me think of a book that i've been wanting to get for my mom who claims to be christian. the book is called When Someone You Love Is Wiccan: A Guide to Witchcraft and Paganism for Concerned Friends, Nervous Parents, & Curious CO-Workers by Carl McColman.

the book explains Pagan spirituality to non-Pagans in a balanced, accessible way, while acknowledging the natural anxiety that many may feel when confronted by a son or daughter who suddenly proclaims that he or she is a practitioner of Wicca. so i was wondering what would you do if your child wanted to be wiccan? would you read the book and try to understand our beliefs or whould you throw it away without reading it?

flower_angel

Asked by flower_angel at 12:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It wouldn't bother me actually. Having a teenager that recently told me that he was Atheist, I think I can handle just about anything when it comes to choices on religion. After he told me I read many article on Atheist. It opened my eyes and I respect his choice. Agree with it, NO, but respect it, YES.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• well I would be heart broken, however I would still want to be in my kids life.. I think I would not read the book , but I would probably tell my kid once how I feel, then leave her or him alone.. I would just pray for her or him..& continue to show her love..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• first I just want to say that you shouldnt have to give reason why you are asking a question

If my children decided to become pagan, wiccan, or what ever, I would most definately learn all I could about the religion. I would want to know the whys, and hows. I couldnt just disregard without understanding it entirely. I'd read every book, search every library, and go to circle meetings, rituals and whatever else to get my understanding. I feel that it would be my job as a parent to understand my child(ren) and why they make the choices they do.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Well, the only thing I will tell you. My situation is that I'm a Christian, I raised both my children in church. My son, at age 14, didn't want to go to church, so I didnt force him. He is now 26 years old. He has his own beliefs (he has dabled in Satanism, Paganism, etc.) Our situation is this: I doesn't believe in God, I don't like it but I will respect his "beliefs" and he knows not to upset me by making remarks about mine.
    I don't believe in pushing something, even beliefs, into someone's face.
    I know that's not really an answer but its my "story".
    Anonymous

• Jus tbe supprtive. Dont stop giving guidance, but they have the right to freewill. LEt them explore. I went from childhood christianity to wiccan in my teens. Now I came back to my roots and befieve what my mom taught when I was younger. Keep your faith!!
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think it is the trendy anti-parent thing to do at the moment. I would act unconcerned and hope they grow out of it.
    Anonymous

• I would be supportive.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• good question op. I know I would have no problem loving an out of wedlock grandchild should that happen, and I know I would love a family member who's gay. I have a 25 yo, a 22 yo and a 17 yo for kids, a son and two daughters. I taught them that how respectful and compassionate a person lives matters most matters not what a person does only. Still believing that even with my three grown kids I have to say it would not bother me that I would disown them. I would definitely research very well those religions for me to understand better although I can not say I could like the religions. jmo
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I would ask them how they landed on that choice. Iif it was the result of influence instead of objective research, I would encourage them to do the research necessary, so that they would have a better understanding about the choice they were making.
    My kids are 12 & 13 right now, I encourage emotionally detached research, meaning don't get emotional about the information you read, because it's just information. I also have communicated that spiritual conclusions can be dangerous, in that they make truth out to be a fixed thing, with a certain path to follow, when really, the unbeaten path, the one that an individual creates for themselves, usually bears the most profound experiences and observations.
    I am not raising them to conform, just because it's the norm. I am raising them to think critically and appreciate all of the contrast that life offers without feeling swayed by one way or another due to emotional influence.
    Allow

Answer by Allow at 1:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I can tell you what I won't do. I won't have them checked for a mental disorder, I won't accuse them of being brainwashed and I won't ask about imaginary fairies.

What will I do? What can I do? I can't make him believe in God anymore than I can make him learn math.
    Anonymous