Taxes - Haiti dontations - did you know?

Did you know that the donations you make to Haiti can be deducted (as an itemized deduction) on your 2009 tax return? Donations make between 1/11 and 3/1 can be claimed on the 2009 return.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• mem, I ask for receipts. Did you know that if you donate used items like cothing they now want you to take pictures of it before you donate it so you can show that it is in good condition if you are audited in addition to the receipt. So now I freaking take pictures! When you are in a higher tax bracket you have to do what you have to do. I have a folder in my filing cabinet right behind the pay stub folder that I throw them into.
    Anonymous

• that's ok, the government has already taken enough money from me this year to help haiti out.
    Anonymous

• That's good, but wouldn't it only apply to donations of like $500 or more. I know every year I am asked if I donated $500 or more and can PROOVE it. That's the aggrivating part because I donate all year long to different things, but who asks for a receipt? I don't. So I just leave it at that... a donation. I feel good about helping and I'm not asking for anything in return.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Mermigen, If you donate small amounts under $20 each, I don't think you have to have a reciept. I always throw handfuls of change into Salvation Army buckets, and then on taxes I claim about $5 with no receipt.
    Anonymous

• ""That's good, but wouldn't it only apply to donations of like $500 or more. I know every year I am asked if I donated $500 or more and can PROOVE it. That's the aggrivating part because I donate all year long to different things, but who asks for a receipt? I don't. So I just leave it at that... a donation. I feel good about helping and I'm not asking for anything in return. ""

Any amount made to a qualifed charity qualifies. Most charities issue a receipt almost immediately any more. I know the rules are a bit strict, but it's becuase too many people abused it claiming donations they didn't actually make.
    Anonymous

• Yes, read it on CNN money!
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 1:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2010