Is it normal for a 4 year old to stutter?

My 4 year old son does this when he has to tell us something or ask question... for example, What what what what what...... It's like he's in a hurry or not thinking... I was just wondering if this is normal or does he need to see a speech therapist.

delta27

Asked by delta27 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Actually, my daughter started stuttering at 3 and was told over and over that it is normal for a toddler. She did outgrow it.

Children with mild stuttering are often unaware of their stuttering.

Speech therapy may be helpful in the following if:
    Stuttering has lasted more than 6 - 12 months
    Stuttering happens most of the time the child is speaking
    The child or the family are very embarrassed by the stuttering or the child is afraid to speak

The way that family, friends, and teachers respond to a child's stuttering is very important:
    Avoid stressful social situations, whenever possible.
    Encourage slow speech by allowing the child plenty of time to talk.
    Use slow and relaxed speech when talking to the child.
    When the child appears frustrated it is okay to gently acknowledge the stuttering and the frustration
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 2:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I would talk to you Dr about it. My hubby had that problem when he was younger.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I also suggest talking to your doctor. If he doesn't do it very often I would not be overly concerned about it but if it does happen often the child should see his doctor that can lead you in the right direction. Children with speech problems such as this often outgrow it but it does take speech therapy in most cases.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My 4 year old son also stutters, but he does have problems. I suggest talking to your doctor about getting a speech therapy evaluation.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• no not normal. talk to his doctor & teachers about your concern
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• It can be normal. Children that young are still developing their speech patterns and the ability to express themselves verbally, so it can be a bit of trouble for them to get words out correctly. Talk with his Pedi and see what he thinks.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think it can be normal. Sometimes, it takes my son forever to say what he's thinking, but that's because he's trying to get it right, or think of the words, so he repeats the ones he already figured out. Talk about a lesson in patience. He is 4.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2010