Is passing universal health care a moral imperative?

In a strongly worded appeal that will test their political influence, especially with their pro-life and Republican allies, the Catholic bishops of the United States have told Congress to put politics aside and focus on the "moral imperative" of passing universal health care.

"The health care debate, with all its political and ideological conflict, seems to have lost its central moral focus and policy priority, which is to ensure that affordable, quality, life-giving care is available to all," the three bishops who are leading the lobbying effort for the Catholic hierarchy write in a letter sent Tuesday to all 535 senators and representatives. "Now is not the time to abandon this task, but rather to set aside partisan divisions and special interest pressures to find ways to enact genuine reform

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/01/27/catholic-bishops-to-congress-ditch-the-politics-pass-health-ca/

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sorry but what happened to the Seperation of Church and Gov't? The churches should let gov't do it's business and stay out of it!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• This is an interesting announcement, considering the Catholic Church would oppose any abortion provisions.

I think we DO have a moral imperative to be certain that anyone who NEEDS care gets what they need as determined by their doctors...without interference from the insurance companies and the chain of referrals and approvals that come with them. If a doctor recommends one particular med for a patient, that patient SHOULD be able to get that med covered by insurance without question. (My husband's been going through a lot of hoops lately over specialists and meds...it's VERY frustrating.)

I think that for-profit health care is immoral, when it comes to treating disease or injuries. I have no issues with making a profit on things like plastic surgery.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The church is made up of PEOPLE. The seperation of church and state is not in the constitution. The first amendment was meant to PROTECT churches, NOT shut them entirely out.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Even though, by the way, I am NOT in agreement with the church's stance. It is their right to advocate for it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I believe it is. I have problems with the word affordable. What does that word mean? My son makes $20,000 a year and can't afford to go to the doctor because his insurance deductable is $1000 and he has high co-pays. Yet he has to pay for insurance every paycheck. He can't go to clinics with sliding fees because he has insurance. He is already not eating at times to pay utilities or pay for gas to get to work. He can't not eat to go to the doctor.

The Vice Pres was talking about how hard it was for him to take care of his aging parent. He, the Vice Pres, said he didn't know how anyone making $150,000 was able to manage. My son takes care of me, his disabled mother, and he makes $20,000. I have multiple medical conditions and specialists, have IV therapy every 3 weeks, and frequent hospitalizations. He is only 21and has been taking care of me since he was 19.

Doesn't Obama remember what its like to be poor?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Why is it normally the Catholic church that voices on these issues to the government? Again, I think they need to stay out of it and let the government do their jobs.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I am surprised that they are coming out for this. However, it is not appropriate for churches to act as lobbyists. If the bishops are sending personal letters regarding their thoughts, that is one thing. To do so on behalf of a church - they need to stay out if it. And I agree with the stance they are taking, but do not care for the mixing of religious and state affairs. Not in any way, shape, or form. When the Catholic church was last part of the state affairs, people were being burned at the stake.

And the churches need to stay entirely shut out, because give an inch, and they will take several miles. What is right for one faith is not necessarily right for ALL THE PEOPLE, in spite of what that one faith might believe. Keeping the church out of state business in all aspects is a wise idea, as the churches have shown they cannot handle that kind of responsibility.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think that for-profit health care is immoral, when it comes to treating disease or injuries. I have no issues with making a profit on things like plastic surgery.

I agree with this

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

Me too

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Doesn't Obama remember what its like to be poor?

When was he ever poor?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2010