when should i take my sons to the dr.

he has had a fever for 4 days, low grade, a cough but no other symptoms
generally he is a healthy child no other illness this year

kmhen

Asked by kmhen at 2:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Health

• You don't say how old he is. Of course you have to be more careful with newborns.

For an older baby or child I don't think there would be anything a doctor could do.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Call the doctor and get him in. A fever for more than 3-4 days could be a sign of infection. Good luck and hope he gets better soon.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I would take him in. The small fever and cough likely means a cold, which would last 2 weeks anyway. But in case it is a bacterial infection it would be good to get him checked.

Answer by Bmat at 2:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I agree get him seen. My daughter was a young teen when she complained her ear hurt, no fever no swelling of glands, no sore throat, no cough no cold. Just an ear ache.

It took three different kinds of antibiotics to clear up her infection.

I've had two of my three kids both have strep throat at the same time - one was very very sick from it physically one had it but played and played through it.

It's doctor's job to grade an illness. An illness is something that make a person feel or look unwell.

Hope your son feels better!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If he's had a fever for four days, regardless of the grade, you should take him to the doctor. He could have a minor infection that's causing his fever. It could be another illness that could progressively get worse. You just never know. A fever is a sign that your body is working hard to fight something off, but if it hasn't gone away in four days then he should see a doctor.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2010