Women on assistance have 3X as many births as women who aren't on assistance.

Women with a Birth in the Last 12 Months per 1,000 Women Who Received Cash Public Assitance Income by State: 2006

The rate for women who received assistance was 154.5 per 1000 women. The rate for women who DON'T receive assistance was 52.6 per 1000 women. That is almost 3 times as many births. What do you think is causing this? Lack of education? Lack of availability to BC or just supidity?

http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/fertility/cps2006.html

oboe_chik

Asked by oboe_chik at 2:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Lack of education / knowledge of what else is out there. Welfare moms begat welfare moms. Certainly not all of them, but obviously some of them.

If we had more workfare and less welfare, women would learn skills to help them get off of public assistance.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Because they have PA they are getting help and having things for them and not having to worry about where to get diapers, formula and things like that. Compared to those that are not on PA. Look at there bills and say I can not afford to get that so we can not afford a child. Just my opion.
    Anonymous

• I'd go with the lack of general education,both school and common knowledge.My cousin is 21 and pregnant with her 2nd kid in 2 yrs ans she never even went to high school! Her main problem is laziness.All she cares about is her beauty regimine and having her boyfriend.She's on PA and flatly REFUSES to get a job and my family stupidly supports her.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• What do you think is causing this?

Nothing is "causing" it. Many of the women not on assistance would be if they got pregnant. Just because they didn't happen to get pregnant does not prove a causation.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I'd say all of the above, welfare can be a tough cycle to break and get off, and gets harder and harder with each kid you have!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Because as MANY have stated here as long as the state pays for their kids they can have as many as they want. I would go with stupidity.

Anonymous

• It's not due to lack of education.

""Because as MANY have stated here as long as the state pays for their kids they can have as many as they want. I would go with stupidity.""

I agree with that statement. Not EVERYONE on welfare, food stamps, WIC, etc are like that. Not all are baby factories, because the state pays for it. Just want to make that clear. However, for those who are like that .. It's because they're stupid and don't know when enough is enough.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• All of the above, except in times as we are now having. Many did have good jobs and were able to support their family.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Lack of education and ambition which leads to limited opportunities. I truly believe that the generational  reliance on PA that is seen in some families leads to acceptance of this life style as the norm.

Many of us would turn to PA as our last and final resort,only after all other options were exhausted.  And if we found ourselves in NEED of the help provided by OTHERS, would NOT think about producing additional children while we continued to rely on outside help-  no bc failures, accidents or excuses!!!  Further, it would never become familiar enough to become our norm-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• We don't have enough info. It looks like the way it's worded that it includes all women, maybe from age 15-50. If you have a wide age range you aren't going to get info that has any meaning. If you wanted to draw any conclusions from the statistics you would have to look at a small age range like 15-20.

The women who are on assistance are more likely to be young and having babies. In some states only mothers can get assistance and they can only get assistance for a few years. So of course the birth rate for mothers on assistance is going to be high. Women who don't have children can't get assistance.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2010