16 month old bf toddler can't seem to get the cup thing down!

My daughter, who was never on the bottle and has just weaned (still sucks fingers) has not figured out how to drink out of a regular cup yet! She drinks water only out of a sippy (usually a straw cup, actually), but when I give her a regular cup, she knows how to bring it to her mouth and tip, but she puts her tongue OVER the rim into the cup and starts sucking at it -- it kind of looks like a kitten lapping up milk. Is this at all normal for this age? I feel like my older daughter (now 2.5) was drinking water from a regular cup at meals at this stage, maybe a bit later but not much. Any advice? Am I worried for no reason?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 2:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you are worrying too much at this point. Give her a few weeks and she will figure it out. :D Great job breastfeeding 16 months!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• every kid is different, it will take some time. my dd is 18 months and is just getting it. around the same age my son got it too
    Anonymous

• I think she's good. My day care starts introducing the regular cup at 2 and uses sippies at 1. So just give her time and keep working at it. She'll figure it out.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry either. She'll get the hang of it. She's still pretty young.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2010