Buying a new washer and dryer....HELP Front loader or top loader???

We are about to buy a new washer and dryer and are debating about getting a front loader or top loader.

Do you have a front loader or top loader?
Why do you love it or hate it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It depends on what you have room for. If you have a small laundry room, then you're going to want a top loader, so the door can open all the way. If you have a large open space, then you next have to decide which is easier. I think top loader would be easier, because it's less strain on your body to bend over the whole time you're switching.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Depends on your budget.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Budget is fine and space isn't an issue.

What I am looking for is opinions on if you like or don't like what you have. My husband wants a front loader, but some people have told me they don't like them...

I figured there we a lot of people on this site that do laundry and either LOVE or HATE their washer/dryer.
    Anonymous

• I would personally love a front loader, you can put bigger items in it like comforters.
    Anonymous

• I would NEVER go back to the top loaders! got my front loaders 2 years ago and LOVE them still! I washed every single washable thing the first week I had them!

its saved money on water - uses barely anything at all.

it is gentle on clothes there isn't an agitator - they get tossed around and shifted to get clean,

its FASTER - a regular load would take about an hour to wash in my top loader and now its barely 30minutes.

there's a SANITARY cycle! I loved that for when I used cloth diapers! and for the really gross towels and things that come in from the garage (ick), sick kid germs....

you just have to leave the door open when not in use to avoid mold and mildew.
    the dryer is GREAT too - it senses the dampness and will dry accordingly - it stops when it senses no more wet.

mine are the whirlpool duets - best ones (other than the LG) after a LOT of research.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• oh yeah and the SIZE!! lol I can fit way more into the washer and actually have it come out clean than I ever could in the top loader.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I just got a pair of those the front loaders and love them so much I can knock all my wash in one day or less the only thing I do bad is I fold the clothes and put them on top of the washer and dryer and leave them for another day to put in the drawers for later...lol that is the only down fall. I love it when the clothes come out fresh out of the dryer and start folding right away while they are still warm. Not to mention when your wash is done they are like extra spinned so when you put them in the dryer it is less time in the dryer. If you have never owned a front loader now is the time if you have space and money like it was mentioned earlier. This is my first set and I would highly recommend them.doing laundryOh mine are Kenmore Elite HE5 GL and enjoy washing and drying...lol

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I have had two front loaders a kenmore and an LG and I HATE them, not to mention one of my boys almost died in one.

#1 hate is that the rubber seal gets moldy no matter what. I have replaced it, and I wipe it out every other load, and always leave the door open and it still gets gross and smelly

#2 They are a pain to get laundry out of unless your are really short or you get the pedestals.

#3 Because they use less water, you can't effectively wash a large load or a twin sized comforter.

#4 If you have two small children and don't have a locking laundry room I would never get one. Read my journal for my experience.

#5 Because it spins so fast to get the water out, it can rip your clothes more easily than a tradtional washing machine. especially the thin t-shirts or tanks.

I suggest getting a top loader without an agitator. They are the best of both.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I have an hE TOPloading washer- with basically no center *post*.. upfront costs were way less, it uses a lot less water and electricity AND my clothes get way cleaner and I use organic detergent and usually low spin and Color Catchers with generally cool water. In the (gas) dryer I use two dryer balls- they work better than anything else I have tried to soften clothing, reduce static and reduce wrinkles. I also run the dryer on low for everything except towels. Towels also get the exception in the washer- I usually run them through minimum of warm temp.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Also to say- yes- I am tall and the top loader is waaay easier to access(I have used various types of front loaders). Also, since I have basically no agitator- I can fit quite a bit of laundry in one load- and since the Color Catchers work so well- I have no need to sort except for soil/delicates..)
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2010