What is your main concern if you teenager wants to become a vegetarian?

if you kid every said "mom, i don't want to eat meat anymore." what would your main concern be able the diet change?

Kimra

Asked by Kimra at 2:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• getting enough protein and iron.And the added cost!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Not getting enough protein.
    Anonymous

• iron. just get the child some slim fast shakes to supplement.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Lack of protein would be my concern but you can get it from alot of other sources that are not meat.. Eggs are a protein, they are not meat or dairy. Peanuts and a good source of protein also.. Look up food high in protein and go from their.. Meat is not high up on our dietary needs but most people consume way more than needed.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't be too concerned. There are plenty of iron and protein rich foods that are vegetarian and even vegan. Look for a vegetarian or vegan cookbook, you can probably find a good one at your library and copy some recipes, or get ideas from allrecipes.com or epicurius.com or any other recipe site.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't really have many concerns, since I'm a vegetarian myself. The main thing to supplement is protein and iron... luckily there are lots of vegetarian sources of both!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Since we are vegetarian, I would be very confused.

I don't know why people obsess about protein; most Americans eat too much protein, and no where near enough vegetables and whole grains. If people ate a truly healthy diet, constipation would be virtually non-existent.

Most American children are both overweight and undernourished. Based strictly on my observations, children raised as vegetarians eat a wider variety of foods, eat healthier foods, have stronger immune systems.

Let your vegetarian child lead your family down a path to better health for the family and the planet.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Vegetarian foods cost less, not more, than "regular" foods. Compare the price of a pound of meat to a pound of dried beans or lentils...

Answer by rkoloms at 2:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My only concern is that it would take more planning and creativity on my part to put together meals. I have absolutely no problems with anyone in the house not eating meat and wouldn't mind eating mostly vegetarian myself.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• it really doesnt take more planning or creativity to feed a vegitarian. I myself have been vegan for over 6 years now, and i am experiencing a healthy vegan pregnancy. its easier then you think! there are several online resources (goveg.com being the most comprehensive i could find) and many great recipe books available to you. rkoloms is right about dietary needs. chances are that your teenagers nutrition is already wrong if he/she has been consuming animal products. you should be proud that he/she has chosen a diet that is more nutritional and compassionate then the omnivorus diet he/she was on before.
    amaupin0402

Answer by amaupin0402 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2010