Are you children's names "trendy"?

Did you try to be unique or trendy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• its fine and dandy to be unique and trendy but to spell them to look like a complete illiterate made them up is rediculous.

but then of course this is the era of the text.....and leaving out letters completely. I think it looks quite ignorant.

and then there's the ones that add a few redundant letters - a couple of Ys, Is - heck even an extra X the other day.
    Anonymous

• yep,we needed a name that suited our kid because we knew he would be a lil weird!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• unique
    Anonymous

• i try to be unique...my name is Marnie, I have never in my life met someone with my name. Ive looked it up and there are others with it but ive never actually came across someone else with the name. My sons name is Malachi, other kids have it yes, but not many. We are trying to get pregnant again and Im having a hard time coming up with other unique baby names...even after reading them online..
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 2:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My daughter's name is unique, but not trendy. It's Arabic. My son's name is Celtic.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 2:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I dont think they are trendy. They didnt seem to be at the time anyway and I dont pay attention to trendy anyway LOL. I just went with names my hubby and I both liked and that sounded good together.

Although, my middle sons name might be considered trendy except for trendy for girls(Avery) LOL. At the time he was born there were like 6 Avery's born in my birth club compared to two Averys that were boys.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Not trendy- they not that common in our area since we drew them from dh's south asian culture and there is not a huge south asian population in our area. However, they are fairly common south asian names spelled traditionally, so I guess it all depends where you live!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I have a Ryan and a Meghan, both of which are names I wanted to use because I really liked them, and i didn't care who else was named that or anything. Did all right, I guess. There are only two other Ryan's in my son's class (he's 17) and my daughter has met maybe two people in her entire 16 years who spell Meghan with an h. It never occurred to me to be trendy or unique in naming my kids.

Now, my furkids are all named for characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Well, My son was born almost 14 years ago....I knew what i wanted to name him at about 5 months along. I thought it was unique. It has become trendy. Not for his age kids, just for all the younger ones. LOL He is Braden.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• my girls names are traditional. Susanne, Victoria and Elizabeth.

we've only encountered one Suzanne - she's in the same grade (but not class) as my dd.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010