What is this world coming to?

Instead of people promoting ways to make marriages work, they have a company advertising an easy and "affordable" way to get divorced. I've actually never seen a commercial advertising marriage counseling, have you? No wonder so many people take marriage so lightly. It's really disappointing.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 2:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• yes.Well,marriage is easy to get into too.They let any legal age moron get married.There should be counseling BEFORE marriage.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Those advertisers don't give a rats ass. They are promoting their business. ITs up to people to start thinking for themselves. I get sick of hearing " Oh 50 percent of people get divorced so if i do it wont be such a big deal". People need to stop going by what someone else is doing and do their own thing. Think for yourself.
    Anonymous

• I think what cheeses me off a little more is a billboard that's been up alongside my commute for a few months now. It's for a store that sells naughty lingerie and adult toys, and says, "Cheaper than divorce."

Which, in my mind, makes it seem that sex is the fix for everything. When it's NOT.

If you really want to cut the divorce rate, make it harder to get married. Require premarital counseling and a class on "home economics" as in money matters. People work harder at preserving what they had to work hard to get in the first place.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Those are all really good points and yes that billboard should really be taken down! I agree that they should make it harder to get married. People will cherish and understand their vows more that way. People wouldn't be advertising that crap if they knew that people wouldn't buy into it. Unfortunately though, so many people out there would rather pay for a "quick fix" than work at it and stick to what they vowed to do.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Good lord, if it was harder to get married more and more people would just be together without getting married. I know a lot of people who just get married for the "perks" which is incredibly stupid.

Also, I actually have seen local commercials for marriage (and family ) counseling, which I think are awesome.
    Anonymous

• You are so true on that one I guess they think since you don't love eachother anymore and just want out really quick this is the way to go rather than to have to go to a marriage counselor and go through all that boring stuff (I mean for the ones that don't want to make it work) and those places that get you divorced in no time they make lots of money...so sure why not. Killing two birds with one stone.
    Anonymous

• It's coming to crap~ Because the under 25 age group is a bunch of "entitled, whiny" losers!
    Anonymous

• But anon, weren't they getting married and pregnant at 16 back in your day? Oh wait, yes because women weren't allowed to think for themselves back then and all their duties consisted of was keeping their mouths shut and remaining barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Sorry that young women have the freedom to think for ourselves and that you look at us voicing our opinions as being entitled, whiny losers.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2010