Why are we questioning and scrutinizing our kids and their religion choice?

I am Catholic and my parents are Catholic, but I made the choice to be Catholic in my 20s. I tried a few other religions, I know very few Catholics who haven't. I even felt agnostic at one time. I have several cousins that left the Catholic faith, we have SDA, atheist, agnostic and baptist but yet nobody has pulled out a book and said read and learn. It is very little about our conversation.

My children have asked if they could go to other churches that are not Catholic and I allowed it. I didn't pull out a book and learn, but I had no problem with them learning. They came back to the Catholic church but if they didn't I wouldn't be looking for a game plan.

What is why agonizing or questioning or planning what we are going to do if our kids grow up to be independent and think for themselves and make their own spiritual choice? I would be more concerned about if my kids doesn't finish school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If my child decides he wants to attend a church that has teachings I think are harmful, I'm probably not going to let him go (depending upon age, maturity level, etc.). If he wants to explore those churches when he's an adult or close to being one then I have no problem with that. However, I was on the receiving end of some very emotionally damaging religious messages as a child and I'm going to do whatever I can prevent that from happening to my own child.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 2:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I was told I was being brainwashed, but lucky I was strong enough to know the truth. There is no reason why should worry about 95% of the different churches or beliefs out there.
    Anonymous

• Growing up in a family and area where non-Christians are seen as evil demoniacally possessed creatures of the dark and being Pagan, has always been interesting. But made the choice that was right for me. Honestly, it wasn't much of a choice, it was simply me being true to myself. I would not honestly care where my children end up religiously. As long as they are true to themselves. My DH is someone that struggles with himself over beliefs, because his heart tells him differently than he was taught to believe is true. And because of this he has some very deep rooted fears. I would never ask my children to be something or someone they are not. In fact we are not teaching our children any religion at this point. We read to them a number of different myths, Greek, Roman, Celtic, Germanic, even Christian... This way they will have a basis to grow on when they are ready, but they don't know they are any more than stories.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I would scrutinize the religious choice of any child because they are not old enough to understand the full meaning of what they are choosing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010