Christian parents-

have any of you sat your kid down, gave them a list of your beliefs and said this is what you must believe as well?

Do you give your kids guidance and the knowledge to understand and learn on their own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My children ware only 2 and 1 so they are not yet ready to make such decisions. But I will not tell my kids they have to believe as I do. God gives us all free will to believe in him or not and if it's good enough for God then it's good enough for me. I will do my best to raise them in the christian faith but as far as to themselves being a follower of God that is something that only they can choose for themselves.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My child isn't old enough yet, but when the time comes I am going to explain to him what I believe, as well as what others believe, and I'm going to be more than happy to help him explore or to look into any belief system that speaks to him. As long as he chooses a faith that truly resonates with him, and is a compassionate, respectful person I'll be happy with whatever he chooses. I just don't want him judging people based on their religious beliefs. I'm going to raise him to respect all opinions and understandings. He's free to choose for himself, but he needs to respect the decisions of others, kwim?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I raise my children in the way they should go. They will be taught our beliefs and why we believe that way. I can't make them believe anything but I can point them in that direction. In the end they have to choose for themselves.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• We read from a childrens bible stories. I answer alot of questions for my dd.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I will love and treasure my children no matter what they choose. But we are raising them to not just believe in Christ but to serve Him when they grow up, glorifying Him by their lives as they walk in God's plan for their lives. Yes, I teach them what Christians believe, that there is only ONE way to God through Jesus Christ, and we need to love Him and know Him, and love others too. God is the center of our family; this is His house. We are aware of His pressence in our lives.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think it would be really weird to give my kids a list of beliefs unless I wanted to make sure they did the exact opposite. Kids learn best by watching the example you set.  They have to be able to make decisions and to fail.  Some people learn faster then others.  Some can watch others struggle and learn from that, other people need to really mess up their lives before they can learn.  Eventually most people find their way.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No. Actually, it's my son that forces us to church every Sunday. He asked to be baptized at 5 and that pretty much did it for us as a family, we follow him now. My 10 yr old has no interest in any of it, I let her make her own choices. I let my kids make all of their own choices about everything from clothing, to food, to friends to what they buy with their money.
    It's their life and their decision.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:44 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We go to church as a family. When they reach confirmation age (9th grade) they will be engage in an open exploration of other religions and denominations. It's a standard practice in our church. They'll get to attend services and meet with leaders of the local mosque, temple, other Christian Churches, the LDS congregation in town, the JW congregation.... they will have the chance to decide if this is really what they believe and if they wish to join on their own accord. If not? it *is* their choice. However, I can't expect them to make an educated decision if they don't ever have exposure. saying "I won't show you my religion so you can make your own choice" sort of limits their ability to know what choice are there to begin with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jan. 28, 2010