When will she slow down?

My daughter is 1 and a few weeks and she's started eating dinner's with us... exactly what we eat pretty much.. but i've noticed that she just stuffs her mouth full and like it takes forever for her to chew it down... but she'll just put piece after piece until her cheeks look like balloons... is my baby normal? when will she slow down or how can i teach her one bite at a time without withholding food?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 2:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hamster cheeks. It's common. As long as she is eating and not choking it's not a problem. Don't worry about things like one bite at a time. You have years to teach her. My 16 mo grandson does the same thing, I think he is getting a little better since he got molars and can chew better. Giving drinks of water with a straw or cup (not a sippy at meals) is good to help her swallow.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• normal.

mine did it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• She's old enough now to do one bite at a time. We had to FORCE this on my DD, because she was like that, too, she would almost shake from being so excited, just shoving food in her mouth-if you didn't know us you would probably think we starved her. What we did was cut up her food for her, and only give her a separate place and just give her one piece at a time. Once she started understanding we would give her 5-6 pieces at a time and tell her just one, take one bite, etc. until finally we just cut up her food and gave her one plate.
    Anonymous

• give her plastic silverwear. This distracted my son in between bites. I would put a bite onto his fork when his mouth was really full and it would take him a while to get the fork bite into his mouth. Make sure she has a sippy cup of water while she's eating. I remind my son (who is 2) to take a drink and it will help him swallow his food. He has slowed down a lot.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think its normal, my 19 month old does the same thing. She walked around for an hour one morning with oranges stuffed in her cheeks. Just be sure to give her soft small bites and slice up things like grapes and very tiny pieces of apples, you know just use common sense. Eventually they will figure it out. Sometimes I just give my daughter a few bites at a time on her plate and add more as she swallows.
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My almost 3 year old still does this. She'll take huge bits, then realize it's too much and spit some out. then slowly eat more. She used to stuff it all in, gag, then spit it out and try again. So she's learned quite a bit :) If she eats with silverware she does much better. It's the finger foods she goes overboard on.
    Anonymous