My 13 month old won't stop hitting his sister...

His sister is 3 years old. She doesn't hit back whatsoever. She'll just say stop or dont' hit me and then he'll do it again. I think he gets a kick out of it. I tried looking directly in his eyes and saying stop as well while grabbing the offending hand. He just does it again. I've tried hitting his hand. He'll cry for a second then do it again. What do I do exactly? Ignore the behavior? Or correct it in some other way??

Pristine_Dream

Asked by Pristine_Dream at 3:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son who is now 16 months did the same thing to both his sisters , 10 & 4 they don't hit back iether (thank god) we all kept telling him ," NO NOT NICE and then showed him NICE on him with our hand." And we didn't make a big deal about it.That only pervokes them, as the girls have learned~lol~.And don't laugh then he thinks it's good, the girls learned that one with something else too. Luck, & smiles, Stephy
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 3:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You need to get on his level and tell him no in a serious voice, and if he continues try a time out of sorts put him elsewhere he thinks your reactions are funny, so you need to make them more scary not funny.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Hitting him and telling him to hit is not a good idea. Wonder where he learned it's ok to hit? Logic and words don't work well with a 13 mo. They don't have empathy yet.

At this age the best thing to do is avoiding the situation. Keep the kids apart. If that means you have to watch the 13 mo like a hawk that is what you may have to do. Get some gates so you can keep the young one in the same room with you. Wear the 13 mo in a sling or carrier while you do stuff around the house.

It's best to save no and stop for emergencies. If he is hitting all the time then no isn't going to work. Here is an article about saying no.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Umm, no 13 month old is going to want to be in a sling, what are you thinking? No too mention, a normal size 13 month old is far too large for a sling.
    Anonymous

• *Not to mention
    Anonymous