When can I expect my 3 year old dd to take a bath/shower by herself?

Just curious really.

Pristine_Dream

Asked by Pristine_Dream at 3:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• depends on ur child....but u may want to expect every inch of ur bathroom to be drenched LOL. I'm sure my girls were when they were that age, but i really dont remember ; ) Stay close & peek in.
    dcwhite4him

Answer by dcwhite4him at 4:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No, I wouldn't until they are 5, and even then I would rather a shower than a bath drowning can still happen.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• um, my 2yr old takes a bath by himself...are you saying she wants you in there with you?
    Anonymous

• Probably not until she is 5 or 6...until then, enjoy the extra time you get to spend with her.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My boys didn't start taking a bath alone ....properly until they were about 7 or 8. My granddaughter can sit in the tub and wash herself well, after I run the bath. She is totally unable to do her hair alone. She will be 7 next month.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My DD was 2 when she started bathing alone. Hell maybe even 1.5. She loves just playing with her toys in there. I still wash her up of course.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Anonymous, she is fine either way. I stay with her throughout her bath time. I just wanted to know when they physically had the ability to wash themselves without parental guidance or assistance.
    Pristine_Dream

Answer by Pristine_Dream at 3:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My son was 3 when I started leaving him alone in the bath for short periods. I wouldn't leave him really alone but he could be trusted to stay in the bath while I folded laundry in the next room, mostly because he chats to his bath toys constantly so I knew he wasn't drowning. If he's quiet I call through to ask if everything OK and the little smart mouth replies with stuff like "no mom, I'm drowning" or "I just got sucked down the drain." He's 4 now and his bath-shower split is about 50-50. He can be left alone in the bath but I always stay right on top of him while he showers otherwise he'll stand back just to watch the water go or he'll shampoo his hair up then stand around instead of rinsing it off. He is perfectly capable of washing and such, he just needs to be reminded on occasion.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I would think maybe around 5 or 6, depending on how long or hard their hair is to wash, or how well they can wash their own body. I would still run the bath water though because they could get it too hot and get scalded. I will probably still be washing my oldest daughters hair when she is 7 because it is long and extremely curly and hard to rinse.
    Cecilydw

Answer by Cecilydw at 6:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I let my daughter start sitting in the tub by herself by 4 or 5 after I washed her up/washed her hair. Her hair is REALLY long, so she didn't start showering by herself until last summer! I still had to go back and make sure she totally washed and rinsed her hair. It has to be CLEAN before I can corn row it again, otherwise it's just totally unmanagable. My son is going to be four next Saturday, the 6th, and I've been letting him sit in the tub by himself since July...but I still keep the door open in the bathroom and check on him frequently.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 7:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010