When you get your tongue pierced...

How bad does it hurt? And exactly how bad does the swelling get? I want to get mine done but don't want to go into my sons school "ang talt lite dis" to his teacher or principal right after. Thank you.

GothicMommy3

Asked by GothicMommy3 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Oops, forgot to ask, how long does the swelling usually last?
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I've had mine done twice.. It DOES hurt but it only hurts for about 3 to 5 seconds. My first one swelled soo bad that I had to take it out. Whatever you do, DO NOT eat dairy products the day after. lol. .It makes it swell. The 2nd time, the barbell was crooked and rubbed against my teeth and bugged me so I took it out. I didn't really want it the 2nd time so it didn't bother me that bad.. You'll only talk weird for about 3 days. IT swells and then goes down.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I don't think it hurt really at all. And my swelling was so minimal that no one even noticed I had it done until I showed them. My mom didn't even know for 6 months, and my dad didn't know for like 8 years! lol. I was able to eat regular food the same night I got it done too.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I had mine done about 8 years ago and have since taken it out. The pain is not too bad. The guy who did mine distracted me when he did it. He said "On the count of three I am going to pierce your tongue." By the time he said the word "tongue", it was finished.

The swelling was what was expected. I was not able to get my tongue all the way out of my mouth due to the swelling and the bar. I sucked on ice chips and that helped so much. I think by 3-5 days I was back to normal. Best of luck to you!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 3:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i had mine done a total of 4 times ---The hole grows up really fast! I've had to remove mine for a series of reasons such as being in the hospital and having to remove all piercings, etc. It grew up within a few days. But first time I didnt even feel it and I had a TON of different peircings in my wild teen days and that one hurt the least. But it swelled the most my first time. And it lasted about 4days to a week. Before I could talk completely normal again, taking the fact that you also have to adjust your ablity to talk with a metal bar in your mouth. But the next few times I had it done, I had no swelling /bc in went threw scar tissue and well, the more I had it done the more it hurt a little, as the scar tissue got thicker each time to have to push threw.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 4:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I have mine done.. it does hurt kinda bad but thankfully the pain from the needle doesn't last long.. I had next to no swelling and never talked funny. Your new piercing will hurt for a few weeks.. you can't stick out your tounge or lick your teeth for awhile until it heals. Chew very very carefully because you can chip your teeth if you bite down on the barbell (which is why I switched to metal bar, plastic bells) I've had mine done for a few years now and still love it (not for sexual reasons lol)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 8:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• It didnt hurt bad at all... I bought some stuff called Glyoxide, its for mouth sores, and put that on it and it healed like over night... wonderful stuff. i talked funny for the first day but after that it wasnt so bad....
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010