Question about Prozac and breastfeeding...

My doctor knows I'm nursing still. She said it was fine to breastfeed while on prozac. But when I get my prescription bottle, the pharmacist puts a label on it saying do not breastfeed. I'm seriously confused. My ds is 13 months and I want to nurse him until he is 2. I've been taking it for 2 weeks now and there is no change in his behavior or bowel movements. Are there any kind of effects, long or short term that I should be aware of? I was soooo depressed before, crying every day, barely had control of my temper, and unable to move at times. All this has been negated by the Prozac and I'm grateful for it. Does anyone know if this will hurt my toddler at all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I've been on Prozac since my son was 6 weeks old. he is currently 13 months old and I still breastfeed him. What my doc. told me is that some of it does pass through to the baby but they haven't found it to harm the baby. I personally haven't seen any negative changes in my son since I've been on it. I am a much better mommy while on it, I am able to function and be there for him. I once had a label on anti-dizzy medication that said "may cause dizziness" I don't trust em. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Its great that it has worked so well so quickly. That class of antidepressants aren't contrindicated for breastfeeding mothers. There are only a few drugs that are contrindicated yet drug companies put those labels on to protect themselves from lawsuits. Antidepressants are commonly used by breastfeeding mothers because of postpartum depression.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Prozac takes 4 to 5 wks for results, It's very helpful and I know of other women who took prozac while prego.don't know about breast feeding ...I know everything with their kids is totally fine.'
    Anonymous

• Not a bit of it. Unfortunately those package inserts are often inaccurate. (My prenatals came with a warning that they weren't to be taken by pregnant women! I no longer read those inserts because I don't trust them.)

As Gailll said...Prozac is OK while nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Would you crush a pill and feed it to him in little bits over a long period of time? If the answer is no, then don't take it or stop breastfeeding. They don't know if anti-depressants are safe while breastfeeding because there haven't been long term studies done on it.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Here are 2 websites to use for research. the first is www.nami.org that is the National Alliance for Mental Illness. The other would be www.webmd.com

SOME antidepressants are ok while breastfeeding and some are not. Why risk it? Don't go by what someone says on a social networking sight, we are not experts. Look at the 2 reliable and reputable websites that I left. The NAMI one is very interesting.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I would never take it and breastfeed, they simply do not know the effects it will have on the baby and im not willing to take a chance on my childs health like that. There are SO many things that can make a person feel depressed, so many lifestyle changes you can make that make a huge difference in how a person feels both on the inside and outside, I would exhaust any and ALL natural methods of treating my depression before even considering going on an antidepressant pill.

Anonymous