Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what to do if your son keeps running away from his mom's house and coming to my house, I would love placment of him, however mom refuses to listen to your 15 year old son. P.S. She lives in IL and I live in WI. He has also taking a Greyhound to my house.

He is 15 years old. Each time he runs away, he tells, me, mom, and the police that if he is forced to return to his mom's house, he will just leave again, and he has been. Now, the only reason he is giving was that his relationship with his step dad is horrible and that he refuses to stay in her house with him. My son used to live with me, then mom took him back, then it was back and forth visits, then my changed and stopped letting me see him for almost a year, stopping all attempts to contact him, etc. Recently she involved the courts and she ended up with some money and I ended up with some legal visitation rights. We have another court date in March, however from my stand point something has to be done NOW. Last night the police retrieve him from our house and took him to the station, his mom drove up and picked him up. He said again that he won't stay there. Mom won't listen to anything and isn't focusing on my son's issu

Answer Question

Asked by stepmomto8 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • call dcf and tell them talk to them about how he runing to your house all the time and they will find out what is going on

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • Who is his mom you or the other lady?

    Answer by louise2 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • It sounds like you are the dad and don't belong on here. This is for moms only. At first I saw you called yourself stepmom but it sounds like you are the dad using someone elses account.

    Answer by Gailll at 3:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • Unless this is a lesbian relationship thing. It just came to me. Who has legal custody of the boy?


    Answer by louise2 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • To clarify, I am stepmom, I was talking on behalf of dad and I. His birth mom lives in IL. Although he has been back down with his mom for the most part for the last few years, I still feel he is my baby.

    Answer by stepmomto8 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • Gaill, does it really matter if it's a mom or a dad. This site is about offer help.

    I don't really know what to tell you. Recommend the son give the police a good reason why he doesn't want to be there, not just I dont' like step dad. Any abuse? Drinking? Anything that might be useful to help you guys get custody? Who calls the police, and why? If mom's not willing to listen to the son, then this is just going to continue and he may end up getting hurt, or run to someone else rather than you guys.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • Who has custody fo the son? Your SO/DH needs to go get a lawyer.

    Answer by louise2 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • DH needs to get an attorney before the court date and fight for custody. Your stepson is old enough to state where he wants to live and why. Tell him to be respectful and tell the truth and hopefully the judge will listen. If your stepson says that stepdad is abusive-mental or physical then go for an emergency custody hearing. For your stepson's sake, I hope everything works out.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • For 15 years there was never court involve me, BM just recently got the courts involved because she and her husband just had their third child together and she wanted some money. Well my husband (BF) Voluntarily offered 200 a month (which is more than necessary considering our personal situation) BM said to the judge I want 300, the judge looked at her crossed-eyed and denied that. The judge gave a temporary order: BF the 2nd and 4th weekend of each month and the 200 a month to BM. The next scheduled court date is in March, however there needs to be a sooner one. My husband (BF) called the courts yesterday and tried to talk to them, they told him that he would have to try for full placement and that the sons running away is not a good/mature choice and that could hurt BF case. To top it all off: MOM REFUSES TO ANSWER HIS OR MY CALLS OR TEXTS TO JUST CHECK UP ON HIM. I am frustrated and stressing (reminder he was my "baby".

    Answer by stepmomto8 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • you should go to the group for blended families. there is a lot of supportive moms in similar situations. sorry i don't have much advice.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.