Is anyone else TERRIFIED of flying?

I've never been on a plane before. My husband and I are considering going to Costa Rica in December. He's been on a plane several times and actually likes flying. The thought absolutely scares me to death. I know it's a pretty irrational fear, but still...

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Since 9/11 I am terrified..We are taking our girls to Disney in May and we are all flying..I might have to have some drinks or something to get through it..And if someone with a head wrap or Muslim is on the plane I might just run..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 3:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i hope not, or else on judgement day, i'm in a heap of trouble!! lol!
    actually, i haven't flown in about 15 years, and i must say, i loved it..the flying part, not the airport or luggage-hauling crap..its kind of a rush, lifting off! also, i don't claim to be the most intelligent person around, but still, the thought that something that big and heavy can stay up in the air just boggles my mind!
    if you do go, make sure you get the window seat..best seat in the 'house'!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Planes and boats I don't do. I have flown but not since the eighties. It has nothing to do with 9/11. My hatred of it came years before 9/11 and years after the eighties. I just feel safer with the prospect of surviving an accident that originates on land and stays on land.
    Anonymous

• Meh, not really. The take off and landing can be kind of intimadating. BRING GUM to chew so your ears don't hurt. And if you have kids traveling with you, BRING GUM!!! YAWN A LOT or your ears will hurt(Well this works for me anyway)
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I have a severe paranoia of flying, it actually induces panic attacks to the point where I almost refuse to get on the plane. But I know it is irrational though so I will do it if i have to. If you are like me, and the thought of getting on a plane really scares you, you can go to your doctor and they can give you a couple of pills to help you during the flight. My doctor has given me adivan when I had to fly. She gives me enough so that if I take it about 20 minutes before I get on the plane, I'm totally calm and relaxed by the time we board. Its supposed to last through a 4 hour flight I think she said. It's an anti anxiety medicine. But I have generalized anxiety disorder, so that's probably why I have SUCH a strong fear of flying. Once you get up in the air, it's fine. Get a window seat and look out over whatever you are flying over. Fields look beautiful from that high up, like a big patchwork quilt!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I refer to an airplan as an ATOD--Aluminum Tube of Death. Something about being 37,500 feet above the ground going over 500 miles an hour in said tube makes me a little uncomfortable. I usually get a prescription for xanax because I get very anxious. Not anxious to where other passengers see me or know, but anxious to where I could easily have a panic attack if I think too much.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Oooooh April, Atavan is niiiiiiiiiiiiice ;D They gave it to be for anxiety when I was in the hospital last year. I only got one dose of it though, because it's highly addictive. My doctor said she didn't want me getting addicted to it since I'm so young. I was like DAMN! Because it seriously mellowed me out.

I think the flight to Costa Rica is like 12 hours long. I'm sure if I had some meds to help I'd be fine. It's funny, my mom isn't scared of flying at all but she's a total worrywart otherwise. She's terrified someone will sneak into her house in the middle of the night.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I used to be and then I decided if I ever wanted to go anywhere I would have to get over it. I literally would refuse to get on planes out of intense fear I would die. I went from flying every 5 years to every other month. You can do it, maybe read about flying or talk to a pilot or someone in the field who can help calm your fears, that helped me a lot. And really if you are meant to die in a horrible plane crash, there's nothing oyu can do about it, let go and you will feel better
    Anonymous

• ME!!! I used to fly all the time when I was in the Army, but since 9/11, I panic even thinking about it. I'm also afraid of water and will never go on a cruise. Looks like the only places I'll be going to is the US and Canada- because we can drive (well at least my husband can drive- I'm also afraid of doing that!)

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I have always been terrified of flying but I have flown many times and guess what? I'm still terrified of it!
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 8:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2010