Do you text in English?

I text in English. I use punctuation and capital letters, and I attempt to spell things correctly. My husband also texts in English. Last week he responded to a text from a friend, and the friend gave him a really hard time about texting in English. My husband replied that English was the only language he knew.

So, do you text in English or do you use texting lingo? If you use texting lingo, how did you learn it? Are there universally accepted acronyms and abbreviations? Do you know where I could find a list or possibly a texting dictionary?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• HATE, HATE, HATE texting lingo!! So annoying, and really it's dumbing people down. Just one more reason for people not to know how to spell. Absolutely stupid! I text in English, punctuation and all.
    Anonymous

• No, siempre en español!
    Anonymous

• NO texting lingo here. It drives me crazy!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 3:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I don't text.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• O yay!!! I luv txt talk baby!!!!
    dcwhite4him

Answer by dcwhite4him at 4:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No all the time...sometimes I text en Espanol
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• It annoys the heck out of me when people send me texts using text lingo. I use proper English. The only exception would be when I run out of room. Then I'll start deleting punctuation, then I'll start deleting the 'y' and 'o' in 'you' and the 'a' and 'e' in 'are', but that's it!
    Anonymous

• I usually text in English, although, when I want to get a long message out in one shot (instead of multiple texts) I will shorten it into text lingo because I only have a certain amount of space to write.
    Anonymous

• I don't text much, but when I do, it's definitely in English. I can't stand text talk! It just sounds dumb to me. My friends know that whenever they text me, they better use proper English too, or I won't even bother responding, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I use proper spelling and punctuation, too. Text lingo gives me a headache.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2010