When is a good time to start practicing with a sippy cup?

My son is only four months, but I thought about letting him "play" with a sippy to maybe start getting used to it. I don't know. Has anyone tried this before? Introducing it early. He is breastfed, and the few times I have tried a bottle he has no intrest which is fine with me, but I was just pondering about a sippy cup.

HarpersMom715

Asked by HarpersMom715 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfed babies don't need to drink anything. Once they start solids after 6 months you may want to give water with meals. They are usually great with straws and have no problems with a cup and straw.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• when my son could grab and hold his bottle, i started introducing a cup with handles.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 4:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I bought some that said for ages 4 months and up, but it seemed like a waste of time before about 6 months.
    Anonymous

• I started with my kids around 5-6 months with a little bit of water in a sippy. By 9-10 months they were able to use it well.

Answer by missanc at 4:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If I put water in it, should I use the purified kind you buy in the baby section of the store?
    HarpersMom715

Answer by HarpersMom715 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2010