My one year old daughter refuses to drink from her sippy cup, any ideas??

I have a little girl who just turned one. I have been giving her juice and water in a sippy cup since she was 7 months old. Now that she is one and it is time for her to start drinking her milk from a cup, she wants nothing to do with it. She is small (off the charts) and I do not feel she can afford to miss out on her formula/stage 2 milk, but I also do not want her getting cavities from the bottle..Does anyone have a similar experience or any advice on how to switch over succesfully?
thanks!

Kylies_mommy72

Asked by Kylies_mommy72 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm trying to switch to the sippy with my 10 month old and this is what my friend did and what I'm going to try. She bought the nuby cup that comes with three different lids. One is a bottle lid, one is a sippy lid, one is a trainer straw lid. She gave her son the cup with the bottle lid for about a week, then once he was used to it and like it, she switched to the sippy lid. He didn't even seem to notice and hasn't had a bottle since. I'm going to try it myself, getting a new cup this week. Hope this helps mommy! Good Luck!
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 4:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Do not give her the bottle. If you don't have any younger children who uses a bottle, then get rid of them completely. Give them to charity, goodwill, or an orginzation that can use them. Just don't give it back to your daughter. She will get the hint eventually and take her milk in a sippy once she realizes that she's not getting the bottle back.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You can try and switch brands of sippy's or take her to the store and let her pick them out..even if she is only one - give her a choice. Cold Turkey the bottles. After a day she will realize that she is only getting the sippy and not a bottle..its hard on a mom then it is for her. She will be fine.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• There is no problem with continuing to give her a bottle of formula a few times a day. The problem is letting her walk around with a bottle or putting her to bed with a bottle. If you think about it, most health organizations suggest breastfeeding for a minimum of 2 years. A bottle of formula is a substitute for the breast. Just give her the bottle with formula a few times a day and hold her when she has it. Hold her, give her the bottle, then take it away as soon as she finishes. Make sure you brush her teeth after her last bottle/food of the day to prevent cavities.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010