Stripping the membranes

I'm 38 weeks and my Dr is suppose to help my labor get started next week, and I'm thinking he's going to "strip" my membranes. Has this been done to you, and what was it like? Painful? And did you go into labor???

MizMzBowz

Asked by MizMzBowz at 4:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had it done at 38 and 40 weeks, was induced at 42, so nope, didn't work for me
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• well it doesnt always work. butit ddint form me. no it dint hurt at all,. i was 38 wks and 4 cm already so that helped. i had her thenext morning. buti know people who had it done and they still went over their due date
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Hopefully it helps me since I've already been in labor for 24 hours with no progress, and only to have them stop it.. How frustrating...
    MizMzBowz

Answer by MizMzBowz at 4:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't let a doctor do it. Babies come when they are supposed to. Doctors can be wrong about due dates. It's important for the baby to have brain development at least 38 weeks. Studies have shown doctors are wrong and then babies are born at 36 or 37 weeks and even one week or half a week can make a huge difference. Go online and research it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I am 38 weeks.. And will be 39 weeks when I go thanks:)
    MizMzBowz

Answer by MizMzBowz at 4:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• have you dialted at all.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• there are risks. i wouldn't do it until like 41 weeks personally. maybe 42. unless there is a serious problem that makes it necessary. (unlikely) i would just wait until baby was ready :-)

cochrane collaboration has an article on it so google that :) it doesn't mention the risk of Premature rupture of membranes too so you might also want to google "stripping membranes PROM" or something like that.

gl!
    Anonymous

• it only works if they do a GOOD job at it. some only do very little sweeping, and some do the whole thing of digging it all out. i think it all depends on how well the doc does it to be honest. ...it does not mean you will go into labor though, even though it is done well, it can take up to weeks before you deliver. it all depends on when your bodys chemicals are done carrying the child.
    Anonymous

• No that's why they stopped my labor, my cervix was not doing anything at ALL. Just like they didn't with my first, I had to be induced, and they had to "soften" my cervix with this pill, and I ended up with a C-Section... If I don't go into labor on my own by the 9th I'm going in to have a C-Section. Not by choice might I add. So I'm hoping if he strips my membranes I'll go into labor so I can try and have a successful VBAC. The hospital wont let him do a VBAC unless I go into labor on my own. Ugh.
    MizMzBowz

Answer by MizMzBowz at 5:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• that scuks. i know semen helps to sofeten the cerivx so have lost and lost of sex!! walk alot like carzy both times i wne tinto labor i had walked 3 miles that day
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2010