Got some encouraging advice?

I have been taking narcotic pain medication for about 6 months (vicodin, percocet, oxycontin) for a legitimate reason. That reason is now cured, so I went about weaning myself back off the medications (stepped down from oxy to percocet, to vics and now on a herbal mood booster and B vitamin). The main problem is this. I really want to take more medication. I honestly have so much pain in my life and it made me feel better temporarily. I still have one prescription left from the oxycontin and feel so anxious and want some medication. I am tempted to just go fill it, but I know that leads down a dangerous path. I should probably just rip up that script and move on, but it's all I think about and I want it. Any encouraging words?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Health

• Rip it up and take away the temptation. Then call your doctor and discuss this problem with them. You are either going through withdraws and need medical support OR you may need an anti-depressant.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the anon.... ripping it up may be extremely hard, but it will take away that temptation and the chance to take them. I also agree that you may need to talk with someone or at the very least find some other activity that you enjoy and can take up you free time/distract you.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• It sounds like mental withdrawals and your first step is ripping that paper up. You can call one of the support lines to be able to hear a real voice or call a friend or relative, depends on your personal situation.
    You've got the right of it already, and you know you don't want to start down that road. It's too hard to come back from it and you've worked hard to get to where you are already.
    mereinolan

Answer by mereinolan at 4:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• It would be better for you to see it for your self but I dont know you so I can show you what it has done to my family. My dad is a prescription pain killer addict and has gone as far as taking way worse drugs to test possitve for methadone at a clinic because thats the only way the state will give it to you is if you test positive for heroin ect. Then I have my sister who is only 27 and my dad got her hooked when she was a teenager and now shes on the methadone as well to stay high and thats the only type of bond that my dad and her share are drugs. And sadly but not least I have a 20 year old brother who I almost lost less then 4 months ago in a motor cycle accident.....he was on life support for a month and then in SICU for 2 and then once they realized he had a chance he was then moved to the trauma unit at Parkland. He was on the highest pain medicine legal in the US and I cant remember the name but they weened him off...
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• of Deloded, sorry I remembered it now and onto Morphine. He is home now and has basically turned into my sister and dad and its so sad to see him kill himself. The pain medicine he gets is gone the day its picked up from the pharmacy and now hes trying to get on the methadone with my sister and dad at the clinic. My mom has stopped buying his medicine cause shes scared hes going to kill himself but shes one to talk. Thats a whole other story but do your self a favor and dont ruin your life. I love my family but Im worn out trying to talk to them and begging them to stop. My little brother is still my night and shining armer but the devil finally got to him and it hurts so bad to think where he will end up. When I was just 17 my dad offered me pain pills just because I said I had a headache and Im talking hydrocodien or vicodin what ever he had that day and I said no. He left it at that and never asked me again till this day.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Im 24 now and am married and have a three year old and a baby on the way and everyday I watch my family fall further and further and befor I know it I want have a family any more. Just think twice befor you take another pill please cause your not only hurting your self but the people around you. Best of luck to you and I hope you do the right thing.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Actually rip it up. You don't NEED those drugs if your lagitamate reason for having them has been cured. Rip up the perscription and throw it away. Don't let yourself go down that path, because like you said it is a dangerous path. You're a strong women, you know you are, you can kick the urge. Find healthier alternatives. Long hot baths, relaxing tea, having a friend or S/O give you a massage. You can be better then perscription addiction. You can kick the urge!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010