This question is for nursing moms who have a toddler as well....

Im about to be having my baby here in April and Im thinking that once my three year old son sees me nursing our newborn that hes going to want to start nursing again. Some might think Im weired but Im not totally against it I just am wondering if any one has experianced this and what have you told your toddler when they ask or attempt to nurse? My son was nursed till he was 13 months and then self weened because he was so acctive, I how ever still wanted to nurse but It didnt work like that. The reason I say I wouldnt be totally against it is because I know how healthy breast milk is and at his age he should have about 16 oz of milk a day so It wouldnt hurt but I know others will disagree and think theres somthing wrong with it because hes already 3 but Im a mom and we nurture are children so Im ok if other people arent ok with this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I only had the one but have been counseling nursing moms long enough to know that you can EXPECT your child to ask. And if you want to let him, FINE. If you don't want to let him, that's fine too. No harm no foul EITHER way. Mom's choice

Answer by gdiamante at 4:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• He may ask to nurse but since it's been so long since he has nursed he probably won't start up again. It is possible to nurse siblings but the older sibling would have nursed throughout the pregnancy. My oldest was 3 and nusing when his brother was born. The only problem I had was too much milk.

You could pump or express som milk for him.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• my sons are 2 years apart (almost to the day). damon nursed until 15, almost 16 months if I remember correctly, and when troy was born, he was obviously interested... so I let him, he lost interest in a couple of days and never brought it up again. but I truly believe that he NEEDED the assurance that mommy would be there to take care of not just his needs, but his wants too- even though he was not the baby anymore.

My daughter experienced the same when damon was born (she was 4) and wanted to nurse... so, I let her. turns out she wasn't thrilled about it, and decided to nurse her babies instead. no biggie, had she continued to show interest, I would have let her.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Most kids won't be able to latch again well enough to nurse effectively at that age after that much of a break. But you are right that breastmilk is still good for them. I've let my kids try breastmilk in a cup so they didn't feel like they were missing out on something really exciting, but told them that since the baby can only eat breastmilk and they can eat lots of other things, that we needed to save mommy's milk so the baby can eat when mommy is at work. If I do end up with frozen milk that's going past it's expiration date, I will thaw it and give it to the older kids. It's still just as good for their immune systems as it is for the baby's. I will also give them a couple oz of breastmilk if they are having trouble kicking a cold or flu. But mostly we do save it for the baby.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• OP.... thank you ladies so much for all your responses, my son still has his sucking reflexes because hes had the binkie this whole time. We just took it away three days ago and hes having a really hard time with it but we felt like it was time to go because he has a speech delay and we have noticed his speech is picking up allot so we didnt want the binky to interfere in anyway. I agree saving most of the milk for the newborn however Im going to have allot if I produce as much milk as I did with my first so I think I could supply between 8-16oz a day :)and of course the more I nurse the more milk I will produce as well. Now Im wondering if I should start letting him nurse now so his sucking reflex doesnt go away cause I have a huge feeling that he will want to nurse once babys here. Maybe just at nap time and bed time 2 sooth Well thank you ladies so much again I expected people to put me down actually instead of incourage me
    Anonymous

• He may ask but it is unlikely that he will actually nurse. He has probably forgotten how (it is not like a bottle or pacifier). If he asks to nurse, what he most likely wants is to hear you say "yes you can". When my 2nd was born my first was 17 months old, and had been weaned for 3 months. The first day home form the hospital he asked to nurse. I said yes. He crawled up onto my lap, kissed the skin on my chest near my breast, looked up at me with a smile and then walked away. He never asked again.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I nurse my 1st born untill she was 15months. now she just turn 2 & i have a 1month old. & nope she never ask me to nurse im not even sure if she remembers that she use to nurse too.
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 5:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Mine did ask and i did let him have a try, i think that he asked to see if i would let him do it, he latched on but stopped after a couple of seconds. He does still get pumped milk and i plan on pumping for him for as long as i can.
    I think that its normal for them to ask, allowing it or not is something that only you can decide, it didnt feel awkward or strange to me.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 6:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Mine are 25 months apart in age and my oldest weaned himself while I was pregnant because "it didn't taste good". he did however ask to nurse after the baby was born. I let him, but he had forgotten how to latch and couldn't get anything out. he tried about 3 times the first couple days, but after that was content to just sit beside me while I read him a book and nursed the baby. i have several friends who nursed through their entire pregnancy and then tandem nursed after ward just fine. My youngest is still nursing at 31 months old and I don't plan to stop until she wants to. your body will produce the correct amount of milk for both children if that is what you choose and BTW sucking a binkie is no where near the same as nursing at a breast. Just so you know that and don't get your hopes up. If he asks then let him try and see what happens. My midwife did recommend taking double prenatals if tandem nursing.
    Anonymous

• I think tandem nursing is wonderful! And re-nursing is wonderful, too!
    It is great for moms-children that want to, absolutely!

My DD asks me to pump for her because she is informed on it's benefits-- I haven't gotten around to that yet...
    But I did tandem nurse my children.

I think that IF your daughter should show an interest, there is a good chance it's temporary... Plus, that reflex can be lost overnight so you never know.
    *But*showing her that you are able to offer it to her might really help the transition into big sister-hood too (less resentment in one department!).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2010