Why does my 2 year old keep getting bloody noses?

He doesn't pick it, but the other morning we woke up and his pillow was covered in blood. I was thinking that is alot of blood to come out of such a tiny nose! He's had them before and had another one just last night. He has a Dr appt coming up but I was just wondering if anyone knows what the problem might be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lack of humidity in the air dries out his nose. One of my sons has always had this problem.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Sometimes having the heat on in the winter season can dry out the mucus membranes in the nose and cause it to bleed. It happens to me every winter.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• It sounds like his nasal passages are drying up from lack of moisture in the house. Get a humidifier and put it in his room. The added moisture into the room while he's sleeping will greatly reduce if not completely eliminate the nose bleeds.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• That's what I do JazzlikeMraz, and it works for me.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My DH always got bloody noses and still does occasionally. He usually takes a few vit. C pills and they stop. I'm not sure why, but they work for him.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 5:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i had the same issue when i was younger i went to a nose and throat spec. an he said i had a vein that didnt close or something of that nature. he cortirized ( misspelled) my vein.. it didnt hurt and he told me i need to use saline nose drops to keep it mositurized. it stop now as i got older it has came back but the saline drops seems to help it.. try lil noses
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 11:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2010