The Nephilim, Zues, and Gods

The nephilim mentioned in the bible at Gen 6:4 and Numbers 13:33 are the offspring that resulted from the angels going to earth and taking wives and having children....aka Goliath. Do you think the Nephilim inspired the myths about Zues and the other "gods?"

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 4:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Before I answer the question, I want to say that I don't know that the passage really means demons had sex with women. People have different opinions on this passage. So I am not sure what I think about it yet.

Anyways. I think what you are asking is if this is really what happened (demons with women) and God wiped them out--would that affect other cultures mythology and legend? Well, possibly. Noah's family spread the stories of what happened before the flood (obviously or we wouldn't have them : ) -- so the post-flood world knew of Adam and Eve, creation, the flood and possibly the Nephilim. After the Tower of Babel (when God separated the people into different cultures) the people had the same stories, and they just added their own variations. This is why most cultures have very similar stories. So . . . maybe the stories had some influence. But everyone but Noah's family was destroyed.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No, of course not! And Goliath was NOT a Nephilim. If you read the account and believe the biblical story about the Nephilim you would see that they were all killed in the Flood of Noah. Goliath didn't live for another few thousand years... There is no connection between the two.

You also would have to believe that IF the Nephilim were the source of the stories of other gods that sinse the only people to have survived the flood (biblically) were Noah & his family, you would have to think they they themselves created the stories of the other Gods. If that were the case, they wouldn't have been quite good enough to have been saved in the first place...

Your logic doesn't line up here - not even by your own belief system...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Sorry, that came out really bitchy sounding... I didn't mean for it to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Its cool Sabrina. I appreciate any info.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I agree with Sabrina (the non-bitchy part lol, don't worry I do it too).

I'd just like to add, the Greek/Roman Pantheon, among many others were present LONG before Christianity.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Goliath only existed somewhere in the 150-200 BC time period. I believe Noah has been placed somewhere around the 6000BC time period. And biblically the Nephilim existed prior to the Flood of Noah. Of course the story was passed down, otherwise we wouldn't have the story today. But the idea that people could have mistaken them for Gods just doesn't work - unless you discredit the biblical time line, and by doing so you would also discredit the entire story itself... So it just doesn't work biblically.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Nope, the other way around. Pretty much across the board, the non-Abrahamic religions pre-date the Abrahamic, meaning the sagas and writings about all the other gods existed for hundreds or even thousands of years before the bible was ever written.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Sabrina - OK glad you mentioned the bible timeline. I am familiar with the bibles teachings but not the timeline. Its written out of order Ive heard. Im going to flip to my index pages and see.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Ati - while that is very correct the story of the Nephilim actually comes out of the old Israelite myths that became Judaism and Christianity. The Israelites do actually predate the Greeks. So the story is older, but doesn't quite add up... The ancient Greeks came from a predating peoples - mostly the even more Ancient Phoneticians. Who are mentioned biblically and who did live during the time of the Isralites. But even their beliefs date back to a previous civilization most likely Minoan or Sumerian... But there is little way to tell. The point is that the beliefs of the Greeks (and others) would have been developing without influence of the Isralites.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Goliath is talked about in 1Samuel Chapter 17. It talks about him attacking Israel. Israel was of course not a nation until after Abraham, since it is after him that they were called Israel. And he is said to have been born 352 years AFTER the Flood of Noah. (Check Genesis 11 for that I think). And as I said before the bible states that the Nephelim would have been killed off in the flood of Noah. Which as you mentioned was in Genesis as well. That should give you an place to start checking out the time line a little more...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2010