would not poop in toilet

my grandson is 7.5 years and would not poop in the toilet but he will pee I have tried so hard.He is ASD and noneverbal any advice will be greatly appreciated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I feel for you.My son was not trained until right after his 8th birthday.He too has autism,but is verbal.His school and we coordinated rules for him to follow regarding the toilet.When he had an accident,we made no fuss,and just said well try to remember,poop goes in the toilet.We kept him in underwear all day.Mine didn't like a big fuss made and rewards didn't work.He just simply had to reach a point where he GOT it. I've heard of children in middle school still in diapers,so that may be the future,but keep your hopes up. I guess just keep vigilant.Try rewards,him picking out his own underwear at the store,cleaning up his own accidents,but don't punish.Thiswill just further push him away from training.Its hard on these little guys.they just can't make the leap between elimination and going into the bathroom sometimes.Change is hard.Good luck!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Thank you for the support and advice.
    foreverhumble

Answer by foreverhumble at 7:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2010