my LO is almost one.. less than a month and shes been peeing and pooing in the potty...

but my mom keeps saying its to early, shes already taking her diaper off, she signs bathroom in sign language and ill put her on the potty and almost right away she pees, shes pooped a few times too on the potty.....so is it too early or do these signs point to her being ready to do this?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it is good that she is showing that she understands! i would not discourage her. one of the big milestones to look for is staying dry for 2 hours. this nt onlyhelps her but it helps you too... it is hard to get anything done if you have to run them to the potty more often than that!
    Anonymous

• each child is different and she seems very advanced, she's not to young to learn anything :)
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 4:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• no that is not too young. i know my sister was potty trained by one... and if someone tried to put a diaper on her then she would tell them "no diaper" "i potty". so she may just be ahead in this area :) which is a good thing.
    Anonymous

• Yes it's too young. Once her back teeth come in she'll go back to diapers. Not sure why that happens but it does. Doing it too early causes way too many problems. Listen to your mom. ANON 4:24 is misinformed. First she probably wasn't there and just heard an old story but even if it were true, how many 1 yr olds can say all of that? I bet she was 2 and not 1.
    Anonymous

• I'd say if you put her on the potty and she pees, then keep putting her on the potty at regular times... when she wakes up and before and after naps, after meals, etc... if she keeps going like this, then you'll save tons of money in diapers. There's absolutely no reason not to go with it... some people never try with little ones, miss a window, and end up with a 4 year old who is cognitively and emotionally capable of learning the potty but fetishistically likes to poop his pants. I wouldn't do anything as drastic as take away the diapers, though, until she's closer to 18 months, unless she is reliably telling you when she needs to go (with signs or otherwise) and she's really never dirtying a diaper. The release-on-the-potty reflex is a great step in the right direction, and is the first step, but it doesn't mean she'll be capable of holding her bladder till she gets there; if you "train" her now you're training yourself.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I say keep putting her in the potty. My DD at that same age she was using the potty too. then some people told me she was to young so i stop putting her in the potty. Now she is 2 & shes still in diapers. I cant wait till she potty train. good luck shes ready..
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 8:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Anon 6:47, that's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life. Who CARES if the kid might go backwards. If she's going in the potty now, you want her to just put diapers on the kid and not let her go potty? That's so silly. Even if she stops pottying, at least she did it for a while. Obviously, since the kid is using the potty, the kid ISN'T too young.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• thanks for the reassurance..... :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2010