Rest in Jesus

As I have come to understand the sabbath is a shadow of the rest we have in Jesus is that right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls." Matthew 11:28-29

"And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath." Mark 2:27-28

Even the religious leaders did not understand the purpose of the Sabbath. It was not to be a heavy burden, but a gift. A break. A day off. God was saying, "You don't need to work everyday, I will take care of you. Trust me and relax a while." Jesus is my Sabbath. And I do take time to rest in Him too.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The seventh-day Sabbath isn't a shadow of anything. It is a memorial of Creation and a reminder of the Creator. The fourth Commandment states Whom, why,how we are to keep the day. It is more than "just a day off". It is a day of holy communion with our God, without any outside interruptions. It is a day God Himself set aside, sanctified, hallowed, blessed! I find it strange that so many want to "protect the sanctity of marriage", but hardly anyone wants to do likewise for the Sabbath. They both originated in the Garden of Eden, were set aside as sacred by the same Creator, ... If it wasn't important, God would never have prefaced it with REMEMBER!

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Anonymous

• Nowhere has Jesus ever claimed to replace the Sabbath. To "rest in Jesus" actually has three meanings; 1) to rest on the Sabbath day (Hebrews 4:4&9) or 2) to be one of the righteous dead (1 Thess. 4:14) for you are literally resting in Jesus' love and protection. Jesus can absolutely give us 3) spiritual rest(Matthew 11:28), but we cannot "cease from all work" seven days a week. How would we support ourselves.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Anonymous

• Even Jesus didn't follow the Sabbath rules Lexy
    Anonymous

• Lexy, you said, "The seventh-day Sabbath isn't a shadow of anything"

But the Bible does say that it is a shadow that found it's fulfillment and SUBSTANCE in Christ. "So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ." Colossians 2:16-17

I don't think it is wrong to keep the Sabbath if you want to, but we shouldn't allow anyone to judge us for these things.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• yes, that is correct..
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• We as SDA's do not take the passage to mean THE sabbath but the feast sabbaths the ones like feast of trumpets and passover.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Colossians 2:16-17 ~"Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days:"

This verse is referring to the Mosaic Law ( Sinaic Law or Levitical Law, ceremonial law) and the proof is in the inclusion of the "new moon" phrase as well as reference to the meat and drink offerings that would take place (compare to Leviticus 23:37) There are two sets of laws, two types of sabbaths. one was described as being grievous to us (Col.2:14-16), and the Ten Commandments which were not grievous to us (1 John 5:3).

cont.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2010