Have you ever heard of a doctor okaying drinking wine during pregnancy?

I have a pregnant coworker who insists that her doctor told her that it is okay to drink wine occasionally during pregnancy. I know people who do, but I personally would never, but my question is have you ever heard of a doctor saying it was okay? I just find that hard to believe.

mazonmom

Asked by mazonmom at 4:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I actually have heard that a glass (a small one) here and there (VERY sparingly) is okay... but you wouldn't catch me doing that. I hate to even take Tylenol for my migraines (even though that really doesn't help anyhow).
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• yes i have there is something in it that helps development i believe.......
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• No. EVERY one I have ever come across STRONGLY discourages it.

I have NO problem with drinking - but NOT during pregnancy.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Many OB's say it is okay after the first trimester 1-2 glasses a week. No hard liquor and red wine is preferred. Never more than one glass at a time. There are two studies out One from British Columbia that found NO cognitive or physical deficiets when consumed as described above.
    Anonymous

• Yes actually my doctor told me to go home and have a glass of wine to relax when i was 2 weeks over due, he also suggested my husband and i take a night off from the kids and it worked, guess i just needed to relax and have a few hours with my hubby. I have heard of it from others as well.

These doctors are not saying go home and drink nightly they are saying if you go to a wedding during the 9 months you are pregnant you can have a small glass at the toast or some other special ocassion.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The no drinking in pregnancy rule is being careful gone to the extreme. It's one of those things people worry too much about when they should worry much more about other things (like the hazards of formula).

Since we don't know the exact worst times to drink and the exact dose for each woman and baby that would cause harm people have gotten the impression that there is a rule that women can't drink at all duing pregnancy. In general it takes a lot of alcohol during the first trimester to cause problems.

Alcohol may stop labor.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• yes an occasional glass is fine to drink. i personally probably wouldnt in the beginning of the pregnancy, but then again, i was drinking glasses of wine occasionally before i knew i was pregnant with both of my children, and they are fine. red wine in moderation even has health benefits (for the mom). i'd much rather have a glass of wine, which is natural.... then take tylenol. although i'm sure that wouldnt hurt baby either.
    Anonymous

• oh my god.... how did this question generate a response about "hazardous" formula. that is ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• yes, my doctor told me that half a glass in the third trimester is fine, but i dont drink wine any way bc 1 sip sends me into a migrane. so i still stay away from it alltogether.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 5:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• sure have.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 5:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2010