Why can't the Duggar (18 kids & counting) girls wear pants??

I know it's a religous thing, but where does it come from.... what religion/sect/denomination does it come out of?? What's the basis, or origin of that rule?? Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Bible describes modesty for a woman as a "loose and flowing garment". Now I have seem some ladies in skirts that are spray-painted on, so it's not just a "skirt vs. pants" thing for me. Some pants are FAR MORE modest than skirts! As far as being covered, the Bible describes "naked" as anything not covered from the shoulders to the knee. We wear short skirts as long as they go to the knee, so they're not always really long. It's not about this "hard and fast rule" it's about looking in the mirror each morning and asking THE ONE who gave His life for me if He's pleased with the way that I represent Him and His Way. And again, this is a personal belief for me and my family...I don't shove this down anyone's throat...I just answered the question as sincerely as possible.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 5:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i believe apostolic (sp??) pentecostal's can't wear pants but they are independent baptists from what i read and it's their rule.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Women can't wear pants because it's man's clothing.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• It's not man's clothing anymore.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 5:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My daughters and I do not wear pants. It is not a "church rule", although we are Independent Fundamental Baptists. It is a modesty and distinction personal conviction. I believe that God wants His people to be distinctly different and modest. There are alot of ladies in our church that wear pants, but I believe that God has dealt with me personally on this issue. I DO NOT have a problem with other ladies not having that personal conviction. I believe the Duggers have the same set of beliefs. It is not a "cannot" thing it is a "will not" thing. I hope I didn't offend anyone....that is SO not the point. I do not think it makes me "better" than anyone.,..it's just a personal thing.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 5:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• "Women can't wear pants because it's man's clothing."

What?? That's asinine! Who says pants are man clothing????? Does that mean the Scott's are dressing as ladies?? Who says pants are men's? That just doesn't make sense!!

Anonymous

• they answered this question on their show, and the answer was that in the bible it says girls should dress respectfully, and they said they interpreted that into long skirts because it covers them completely without taking away their feminism.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 5:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• OP here - Thanks TimandMely4ever. Question.... how does modesty play into pants vs skits? I would think that pants would keep you covered better as well as provide less access to your "lady-ness". Do you follow what I mean? But that's jut IMO :)

Anonymous

• There must be something in the bible saying thou shalt not pimp thy family to gain wealth.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Here is what I find amazing... Their girls can't wear pants because they are "mens clothing," yet they can have their own TV show...

I mean, either the world has progressed to the point where it's okay to be so vain and use your family for income or it hasn't progressed enough for women to wear pants... One or the other! We are either in the 21 century or we aren't...

Which BTW, In Many Ancient Cultures Men and Women Dressed the SAME! ... So it's not like it's a NEW thing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2010