Matt 27:46 "Why have thou forsaken me?"

Jesus said this to God just before dying. Why did he say it? It sounds disrespectful to God but I also think Jesus was simply ready.

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 5:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You have great questions today. But it is actually really cool. Back then when a rabbi was teaching his students they would begin a study by quoting the first verse of a passage, and the students would turn to it knowing what passage they were studying that day.

When Jesus said, "My God, My God, Why have You forsaken Me?" He was like a rabbi quoting the passage of study for the students. He was pointing them to Psalm 22. In Psalm 22 you see a Messianic Prophesy predicting the details of Jesus death. You see His hands and feet pierced, His clothing divided and lots cast for it, the mocking of the soldiers, his heart "melting" (crucifixion affects your heart is a similar way), how He thirsted and His tongue stuck to the roof of His mouth, etc. It ends with victory for all people, and all generations!

Jesus was drawing attention to Scripture BEING fulfilled before their eyes!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think it was b/c he realized that he was only human. He didnt have any more power than you or I (he just knew how to access it). Also I think that he said it b/c God left his presence.

This is a clear indication that Jesus was NOT a savior of man kind.
    Anonymous

• I believe that it could also be more than just the scriptural reference but also the actual pain he felt...God turning away from the total of world sin for all time that was nailed to that cross with him. I would imagine the weight of all that sin bore down on him at that moment. The ugliness of that sin that God turned his face from (on Jesus at that moment) was worse than any physical pain there could ever be. I have often wondered this and was wondering if anyone else had thought of it or heard of it this way.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• "The ugliness of that sin that God turned his face from (on Jesus at that moment) was worse than any physical pain there could ever be."

Of course. I mean all of our disgusting filth was put on Jesus. It is a really heavy moment. I mean the sun stopped shining while it was happening. It is crazy to think what Jesus went through aside from just the tremendous physical pain.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Cinnamon-Mom has the answer I was going to put..
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 9:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Mind you ladies just a little thought if Jesus was God as so many people think then why would he say these words at all after all he would be talking to himself unless of course he Is Gods son and not God.
    Just a thought
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Because Jesus took all the sin of the world on himself and sacrificed himself for us, he was separated from God for that time period. And as for the God-or-just-Son-of-God question, it's one of those concepts that Christians accept on faith although it's difficult to understand. Jesus was both the SOn of God and God in human form so while it seems like he's talking to himself, he was also crying out to his Father God.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2010