would you join a club if you knew that their membership fees were nearly double what they should be?

And when you question the club officers they say it is for operational expenses. however the club won't tell me what the expenses are. I find it hard to believe that the club has an additional 7 grand of expenses after things like uniforms etc are paid for out of the annual club dues. Oh there is also a major fundraiser that you need to praticipate in

Somthing just dosnt add up in my eyes. And my quess is no one has questioned it in the past. The club is non profit so my guess is that the funds go some whereabouts

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• yeah i would
    Anonymous

• It depends on a few things. 1) How much money we're talking about - like, if it's, say, an extra $10 and it's something I wanted to do, then ok, but if it's an extra $100 then maybe not... 2) How "closed" are the books? Some only show their books to members. Some have more "set" expenses than others. Some are good organizations but have some "shady" people running specific branches.

Now, I assume that you're talking about a Scouting organization. If that's the case, then I might be able to clear this up for you a bit, because I've been a Scout leader for many yrs. (Mostly with the Boys, but I'm also a trained Girl Scout Leader.) In addition to dues, which are set and individual groups have no control over, there are dues. That money is usually used for the following things - supplies for the various projects (craft supplies, pinewood derby cars, glue, beads, ribbons, felt, paint, etc).

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• cont

Also for things like the patches, tri-its, belt loops, merit badges, etc that are earned (those things add up and are not given to you by the Council, they have to be bought by the individual Troop, Pack, or Crew.) Even the costs such as printing all the permission slips for all the events adds up.

If there aren't dues charged, then all of these expenses add up and come out of the Leader's pocket, who is already donating their time and energy, and who is also most likely already donating things that are not re-imbursed, such as all the gas used driving the group to the various trips, vacation time used to go on them, etc.

Now, that is NOT to say that there aren't some leaders out there that are scamming though. If you have warning bells about it, and they aren't willing to go over the operating expenses at least a bit with you, find a new Troop, Pack, etc.

Also, there is financial aid available for them.

hth
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Oh, one other thing, if you're talking about Girl Scouts - something that a lot of people don't know, is that the girls actually get to keep very little of the cookie money. I'm talking about less than a dollar per box is kept at the Troop level! Most of the money goes towards paying for the manufacturing of the cookies and to the National / Council levels.

I've seen it as low as 25 cents a box (when the cost was $3) kept at the Troop level, and as high as here (we're stationed overseas), where I believe the Troops get to keep something like 50 - 75 cents a box (the cost is $3.50) The Boy Scouts get a much better deal with their popcorn generally. (We've lived all over the US and have seen a lot of difference in how much the different groups get to keep for themselves.)

hope this helps explain where some of the money goes :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Its a soccer club. The annual club fee is about 600 and it covers league fees uniforms travel bag and team jacket. This is a travel team who plays all over the state. If there is an away game that you choose to get a hotel room you must pay for that.

The fundraisers cover tournament fees in part you still pay your own meals and lodging. Our city dosnt charge for useof the field we can account for between 300-350 in fees but not more
    Anonymous

• Does the money go towards the trophies, or for any special trainers that are brought in, or to pay for the refs? In some places, the refs make pretty good money - my ds's ex-girlfriend ref'ed on the lines for soccer and she made like $50 a game - with the head ref making something like $75 - so you're talking $175 a game, just for refs.

Also, do they have to pay insurance for the league?

I'm not trying to defend their fees, because they should be willing to show you the books, but these are just some things that the money could be going towards.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The refs are covered by the league fees last year there was a potluck banquet at a park. a friend who's DD also plays on the team have gone over what we can see for expenses and we are still comming up shy
    Anonymous

• Then honestly, I think I would take it to the next higher level with the league, or take it to the City's Parks and Rec department and ask for an audit of the books to make sure they aren't scamming you.

Because like I said, sometimes it does happen, even in good organizations.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2010