Best non-hormonal birth control???

I am due to give birth to my second child any day now (hopefully sooner rather than later) and it is time to start thinking about birth control again. I don't like any kind of hormonal birth control as the hormones make me sick, condoms are really not that comfortable for me (and we have tried several different kinds) not to mention that I actually got pregnant while using them, I do not want an IUD as it does not prevent fertilization only implantation, and I keep hearing stories of people who got pregnant while doing the natural family planning method. What on earth do I use??? Hubby and I are rather furtile people and really can't have another child right way. I need help...please!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• I feel your pain. Because of some health stuff, I can't take birth control pills. I got pg with our oldest using condoms (yes, we were using them right). Then, after he was born, I was nursing him and we were using condoms and I hadn't started my period again (yes, again, we were using them right - as confirmed when we talked to my Dr about it, and apparently I "got lucky" and had just started ovulating again when this happened) but I got pg again with our dd.

Our ds was 6 months old when this happened... So, we had 2 kids in less than 2 yrs.

Honestly, I don't know how many kids you all want, so I don't know if you're wanting to have more kids or not, but the best one that works for us is my husband had a vasectomy. That was almost 16 yrs ago (our youngest is 15 1/2...)

GL!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Use the Natural Family Planning method (which means you track your fertile days so you can avoid those days or use condoms on those days). Go to www.yourdays.com to track it. That's what I use. You must type in how long your cycle is, and when your last period was every month. Also you can use spermicides. This has worked great for me.
    Anonymous

• Oh yea, and use condoms. People doing the NFP method usually get pregnant by forgetting to check and see when they're fertile most of the time. It's as effective as the BC pill IF you keep track accurately.
    Anonymous

• You have ruled out a lot. Breastfeeding can protect you for 9 or more months and it may be a year or longer before you become fertile. You can use natural family planning so you know when fertility has returned.

Diaphragm has a perfect use failure rate of 9%. Along with a condom the failure rate is less than 1%.

Breastfeeding and then after a few months the non-hormonal IUD may be a good option in an imperfect world.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I just had a baby 10 weeks ago and I was thinking the same thing as you. I just had my IUD put in and I love it....I had the paragard put in and you can leave this one in up to 10 years. Alot of my friends have it and dont have any problems and have sex all the time with their husbands. I havent heard any stories from people that I know getting pregnant with it. Its nice and the only thing you have to worry about it is falling out which is very unlikely....it does block fertilization bc it blocks the egg from implanting...if it doesnt implant in the uterus then how would you be able to fertilize the egg? DUH! anyways nothing is 100% effective unless you have everything taken out or dont have sex. and I dont think you want to stop having sex. I know I dont....having your tubes tied isnt as effective. My mom got pregnant with me even though her tubes were tied...think about it....IUD isnt bad at all! You dont feel it!
    Anonymous

• Oh, and actually, the condom being 99% effective is actually misleading. This is what my Dr explained when I went in, pg for the second time on condoms, and pretty freaked out about it -

They are 99% effective in the ones that leave the factory without defects. However, there's something like an 11% defective rate in manufacturing (where there's a weak spot in the material, small holes, etc). SO - they REALLY only have something like an 88% effective rate...

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Gailll - OP here. I exclusively breastfed my last little one and my period started a little after 8 weeks postpartum. No idea why. I may try a diaphragm - I hadn't thought about that one. Are they uncomfortable? Easy to use?
    Anonymous

• i have used encare since i had my 2nd. u can buy it for $& at any drug store in the condom section or the woman care section. I haven't got pregnant since i started using it like i am supposed to and have been using it for almost 2 years.
    _mimimosley_

Answer by _mimimosley_ at 6:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2010