Anybody have a problem with fire ants int their home?

We just built our first home 5 months ago and for the past couple of months we have had a HUGE fire ant problem. There was a mound in the backyard and they came in through the weep hole into the bathroom. Now they are in my kitchen and I can not even put a hand towel down let alone food on the counters or they will be all over it. Terminix has come out several times and they also do a quarterly spray as well, but the ants keep coming back. Now the terminix guy said he will have to drill holes in the walls!
Does anybody know of anything that could help get rid of these ants once and for all? Before we have holes drilled into our brand new home.

crystal1480

Asked by crystal1480 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Try fire ant bait. It's sold in a granular form and you place it all around the ant mound. The ants take the poison back to the colony and it kills the queen and the colony.

DON'T let them drill holes in your home! All you have to do is kill the queen ant and the colony will die off because the queen ant lays the eggs. Terminex makes their money by coming to your house all of the time ;) They came to my home and told me I had termites. I got a second opinion (a long time local exterminator) and they told me termites don't survive here in Vegas ... needless to say, I didn't call terminix again!

I also spray around the perimeter (base of my foundation) about 4 times a year with "Green Light" House and Garden Insect Control. I put it in one of those pump sprayers so it's easier to apply. Your local garden store should be able to help you find the products you need.
    SaccoBambino

Answer by SaccoBambino at 11:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2010