How long will it take for my breast milk to dry up?

I stopped nursing my 11 month old 2 weeks ago, I was never engorged, in fact there has not been any pain at all since I have stopped nursing her, but now I am wondering when I will stop producing milk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You made it so close to a year and not needing formula. Sure you can't make it a few more weeks.

It can take weeks, months, or even years.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I just had a baby 3 months ago and Im not breastfeeding bc I wasnt making enough to feed her and mine is still not dried up. Call your doc and ask...bc I went to the doc today and he told me that mine should have been dried by now...with my other 2 it was like 2 weeks and it was all dry...they have meds to dry it up for you!
    Anonymous

• The meds that can 'dry up milk' are dangerous and aren't supposed to be used for for this.

Amazing. Can't make enough milk but milk won't go away. Those women in Haiti are able to breastfeed their babies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I did not stop nursing her because I didn't have enough milk, I stopped nursing because it was time to stop!
    Anonymous

• It took 8 weeks for my milk to dry up after my infant son passed away. My doctor said they had found that the drugs used to dry up the milk previously were not safe. So I had to just wait it out. I wore lots of nursing pads and tight sports bras so that I wouldn't notice it so much.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 6:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My daughter self-weaned at 23 months. I produced milk for at least a year after that.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2010