ungrateful

I have a 17 step daughter that told us that she is pregnant. Well she had her first appt yesterday and the insurance person at the office said that her portion after insurance is 583.20. Well she nor her boyfiend has a job. So I paid the total amount and told them that they could just pay me back as they have the money. Well she got all upset and said that she didnt want me to pay it she would just figure something out. Well I dont want her going threw this pregnancy with no medical care. What should I do.

twinsnseptember

Asked by twinsnseptember at 6:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Take her to the local DFS office, explain the situation, and have her apply for Medicaid for Pregnant Women. That is what those aid programs are for. Medicaid will cover anything her other insurance will not, and you won't have to.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 6:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• she doesnt qualitfy because we make to much. Under 23 in the state of texas then u have to claim your parents income. Already tried that
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 6:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• they will cover what insurence does not pay wont they
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Do you think she is just hormonal right now or is this her normal attitude? If she's hormonal, then maybe she will get over it and appreciate that you are trying to help. I would think a lot of girls her age in that situation might be pretty defensive and emotional because they are scared and expect everyone to be hard on them. She may need a little time and a little more reassurance from you. If this is her normal attitude then maybe you need to let someone else step in - could her dad talk to her rationally (I'm pretty sure my husband would have a hard time with this situation)?
    Anonymous

• Offer to set up a payment plan

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• She's not ungrateful, she's wanting to do this on her own. There is a difference. And actually I'm surprised that your insurance pays for it. Most private insurance won't pay for the pregnancy of a dependant child.
    Anonymous

• Hey, if she wants to do it on her own I say let her. She obviously has no appreciation for your help right now. Maybe she'll smarten up when she realizes you are trying to help her. Hopefully that boyfriend gets a job.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I agree with Anon. Maybe she just feels really bad deep down, that she got herself into this situation and doesn't want the burden to fall on anyone else. I would say she's ungratful if she let you pay for it and didn't give you any sort of thanks or respect for helping.
    Anonymous

• In TX at 17 you can live on your own. If she moves out there are plenty of programs she will qualify for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Let her stand on her own two feet and don't be so quick with the cash. Wait for her to ask. There is no reason to pay the OB during the first visit. That could have been spread out over the course of the pregnancy. She might even want to switch providers. Now you have just locked her in to this one. She is a grown up now whether you want to acknowledge it or not. She has to be the one to handle these things and she need to come to you after she has discussed things with her boyfriend. You throwing that amount of cash around in front of her is of course going to make her feel like a failure. No reason to pay the OB up front, that was completely uncalled for. Do you think a married 25 year old mom writes a check fo $600 the first week. Of course not!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2010