Book of Jashar

I was reading 2 sam 1 and came across this book being mentioned.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 6:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 6:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I haven't heard of the Book Of Jashar, but I do know that the Catholic church only released the books they deemed "necessary" and "allowable" to their standards.

I find it disturbing that the Holy Bible is not complete and that men (Catholic Church) decided which parts to include in God's Holy Word to the masses.....However, I rely on the Holy Spirit to lend guidance in times where the Word is not clear or where it can be interpreted more than one way...

Not sure if you even wanted comments...but this was the thought that popped into my head when reading your post. :)

TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• This book is also mentioned in Joshua 10:13 and it evidently contained a collection of early Hebrew poetry.

We shouldn’t think that this is a “missing” book of the Bible. It is a completely unjustified leap over logic to say that if the Bible mentions an ancient writing, and if that ancient writing has any material in common with Biblical books, therefore that writing is genuinely Scripture and is a "lost" book of the Bible. Our Bibles are complete and completely inspired.

--- from the David Guzik Commentary : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The elegy itself. It is not a divine hymn, nor given by inspiration of God to be used in divine service, nor is there any mention of God in it; but it is a human composition, and therefore was inserted, not in the book of Psalms (which, being of divine original, is preserved), but in the book of Jasher, which, being only a collection of common poems, is long since lost.

--from the Matthew Henry Commentary : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Any copies of the Book of Jashar don't appear to have survived until our times. (But who knows, maybe someday we'll discover a copy like we did of the dead sea scrolls). It appears to have recounted in epic style the exploits of Israel's early heroes. I agree with cinnomon-mom that it doesn't make sense to talk about "missing" books of the bible. Jesus didn't leave us with a table of contents of what was to be included in the Bible - there is a ton of writings about Christ doesn't mean they're all inspired by the Word of God.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

"Released" from what?  You do realized that lots of people wrote about Jesus - that doesn't mean that they are all inspired by God and should be included in the Bible.  Especially since some of the writings contradict each other.  And the Book of Jashar is referenced in the Hebrew scriptures - which existed years before the New Testament, Christ, and the Catholic Church. 

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• "I find it disturbing that the Holy Bible is not complete and that men (Catholic Church) decided which parts to include in God's Holy Word to the masses....."

That's like saying anthropologists 2000 years in the future will think that The New York Times and The National Enquirer are equally factual.

... this was the thought that popped into my head when reading your reply. :)
    Anonymous