Do I have a reason to be upset??? In-law story...

So... my MIL and I have never really gotten along. She recently asked if we could have my FIL's birthday at our (hubby and My) home. I couldn't say no, even though I don't care for her I have respect for her because she is my elder. Anyway... She sent out the invites and it says that the party is going to be held at my Hubby's house. It only had his name on the invitation. I was pretty upset considering she asked me about the whole thing and we've been together for almost 9 years, married for 4 years. She claims that I'm part of the family, but I sure felt excluded when she only put his name on the invite. Do I have a reason to be upset?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• I think you just don't like her and are looking for things to get upset about. Sorry. I have the same problem with my MIL and I have to make myself look at the situation and see if it really is something to be mad about, or just my dislike of her getting in the way. Let it go, it will only cause more strife.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• yes but what mother don't favor her son :) She probably didn't mean to be hurtful towards you and she probably didn't realize it sit down and tell her how it made you feel like adults and that you would like to be included in these kinds of things.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Just consider the source and move on....Or tell her those invites are really nice. Now if you want to start something with her ask her why?
    Anonymous

• I would be pissed off at first but let it go. You have your whole marriage to go through crap like that. Let that one slide. If you call her out on it she would probably just say it was an accident and then you will be the one looking like your out to get her. Thats my opinion anyways but what do I know right lol
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 6:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I would hold my tongue for the time being, and note whether she has a few more digs maybe has she done other things before?
    niceandspice

Answer by niceandspice at 6:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• well unlike everyone else on here, i'm with you, i'd be ticked.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 6:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I'd be upset and I've only been engaged for a year now, lol ;) Even now if she set up an even at our house and I was helping preparing/cleaning etc. I'd want to be included..but perhaps making a big deal about it though, isn't the way to go. Just ignore it with grace, if you come across to sensitive or enough to make a problem then she (in her mind) has a "reason" to not like you, you'd be the 'sensitive" one, you're "the one causing problems" and so on...
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I hope that your husband stands up to her and tells her that the party is off.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I would brush it off. its pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• OP here... My Hubby did say something to his Mom today. She said she didn't mean to exclude me, but she also said that if she would have put my name that would have made the font smaller. She also told him that everyone knows who he is. He then told her that everyone knows who I am too. I know she just doesn't like me. She has told my hubby in the past that she's envious that we have such a nice house and she has an old one. Oh well... all that matters is that my hubby and I are happy! I love my life!
    Anonymous